Did anyone go to Western Rd. school

pagill

I remember him and his sticks well, I think he was a pervert also. He had throat cancer or something when we were there and could only talk in a whisper. He would pick one of the girls (never a boy) out of the class to stand out front with him and he would whisper in her ear so she could recite it to the rest of the class.

I keep trying but no luck so far.

If you go back to last may 2009 on this thread i am looking for any one still around from the years 1924-1935 ex pupils of Weston Road School, I know this is a long shot as they will now be in late 80s but i have a friend who was there and would like to find anyone of that time for her, or if any one knows if there is any school records still around.

Have you tried Friends Reunited I found some of my old school pals on there.

I was there from 1952 to 1961. The head of the infants was the rather formidable Miss Green, the juniors was Miss Ellis and the seniors was Mr Burnett. The seniors was referred to by the 'inmates' at the time as 'Berts College of Knowledge'.

Edited by JOHN.P

• 1 month later...
I was at Western Road school in the late 50' / early 60's.

The formidable Miss Green - at least she looked formidable to five- and six-year olds - was headmistress of the infants school and the less formidable Miss Ellis was headmistress of the juniors.

I was taught in the juniors by Miss Ambler and Mr Bellamy.

But I don't recall the names of any of the infant class teachers of the time.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

I was at Western Road infants from 1953-6. Teachers there included Miss Bower and M(rs) Thompson. I have a memory of Mrs Thompson falling off the wooden PE beam when showing us how to use it one wet playtime in the hall.

I wonder if anyone remembers walking up Western Road in winter to the annex for history lessons in the 50s. The teacher was Mr. Poole who must have been about 110 at the time. The classroom was part of the Crookes Congregational Church with high ceilings and loose fitting windows. (No double glazing in those days!). The 'so called' heating was an old coke burning stove (I can smell the fumes to this day) in front of which 'Sir' would stand, warming his back whilst facing the class. We all sat 'FREEEEEZING' at our desks waring overcoats with numb fingers and toes and sniffling with runny noses. I don't recall taking in much of the history lessons as our concentration was on trying to keep warm. 'Sir' had two canes which he (to his amusment) named 'Licquorice' and 'Ginger' and should you be 'sadistic' Sir's victim, Sir would kindly allow you the opportunity of choosing between the two.---"OH JOY!" No one dared speak out of turn in those days. How times have changed. The good old days ? In some ways, I think not!

John

I was there between 1956 and 1960 I'd forgotten about the lessons at Crookes Congs. Our teacher there was a Mr Barrett of the two rulers cane memory. Spoke with a very posh accent

I was in the infants and juniors 1950-56. My infants school teachers were Mrs Crowson and Mrs Hibberd. Junior school teachers were Miss Smith, Miss Bramall, Miss Exley and Miss Hobson.

Yo !

Do you remember when Jeff Armstrong fell off the roof of the junior school and broke his leg(s) ?