Did anyone go to Western Rd. school

pagill

On 09/08/2012 at 20:06, magsjean said:

Hi am I am Jean Arnold, just suprised to see my name in quotes. I also remember Susan Alsop, Sandra Cargill, Elaine Adams, Christine Carlton and Robert Waterhouse. Just brought back some good memories, we left Crookes about 1966.

Just remembered some more names, Katherine Sloboda, Michael Harrison, Pauline Baker. My mum used to work at the Fish and chip shop at the bottom of Cobden View Road. I can remember playing with a whip and top at the junction of Western Road and School road as it had large concrete section with Penny Walker who also lived on Cobden

View Road, going to the brownies at the church halfway up Cobden View and walking through the back garden of the Cobden View pub to get to school. I'm pretty sure that Elaine Adams brothers worked with Joe Cocker at the Gas board.

Hi Jean

I am Neil Kirby, you probably won't remember me but I married Elaine Adams in 1976 and we moved to South Africa in 1981 - eventually returning to the UK in 2000

We now live just outside London and have 3 children and 3 grandchildren

And yes Barry & Phil worked with Joe Cocker at the gas board

• 2 weeks later...

Keith Smith 1940 - 1945 I remember the ferocious Miss Exley (I can   still remember her evil cane!)  Miss Smith and a (student teacher?) Miss Williams were lovely. Classmates? David Starr, Margaret Smith, Graham  Ellis from the Three Merry Lads Lodge Moor and was never late. 3 of us passed the "scholarship" (11-plus): I went to City Grammar, Barbara Littlewood to High Storrs (?) and Grenville Thorpe to  "Junior Tech". He it   was who used to climb down the high roof to retrieve our balls from the 30-foot high gutter! Malcolm (later Dr.) Green, Peter Slater. The caretaker was Mr. Townsend who brought in the news one morning that Germany had surrendered. In frosty weather we used to slide in rows down the upper playground (the freezing outdoor toilets were at the top end), the kind teachers giving us extra playtime. No heating in the winter, even in the Infants School "Oil tankers are torpedoed to bring fuel to this country: it won't hurt you to sit in your overcoats. "  I was bombed out (66A Barber Road) at age 6, a girl ("Carrots" i.e. red hair) was killed. We used to play on the bomb-sites at the bottom of Springvale Road and Upperthorpe. Now a retired Concert Violinist and University Professor.

Add to Keith Smith: I forgot to list the (unidentical) twins: Pat and Peter Robinson.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 08/12/2016 at 17:59, tuthill said:

I was in Mrs Read's class...... I think about 1963/64 time.....Don't remember many of my class mates name though ..I think Mrs Read was there for many years ?

I just saw this about Western Road Secondary School. I was there 1963/64. Names I remember are Jane Russel, Laura Meredith, Linda Kelly, Mary Johnson, Gainer Barns, Stuart. Mr North, some teachers mentioned, Mr Burnett

On 19/05/2013 at 13:26, val brierley said:

i remember iss.hobson who was a junior teacher she had grey hair always in a bun..very strict and scary

---------- Post added 19-05-2013 at 12:32 ----------

I was at Western Road School from 1952 to1963 and wonder does anyone remember anyone who was in my class, there was Elsie Seedhouse, Barbara Chambers, Ann Higginbottom, Barry Hides, the twins Kathryn and Phylis McGovern and Ann Simpson ?

---------- Post added 19-05-2013 at 12:33 ----------

I was at Western Road School from 1952 to1963 and wonder does anyone remember anyone who was in my class, there was Elsie Seedhouse, Barbara Chambers, Ann Higginbottom, Barry Hides, the twins Kathryn and Phylis McGovern and Ann Simpson ?

The names are familiar I remember twins but they were the Bellemy twins I think?