Making and flying kites...

Just to cheer everyone up.

A husband and wife came for counseling after 15 years of marriage.

When asked what the problem was, the wife went into a passionate, painful tirade listing every problem they had ever had in the 15 years they had been married.

She went on and on and on: neglect, lack of intimacy, emptiness, loneliness, feeling unloved and unlovable, an entire laundry list of un-met needs she had endured over the course of their marriage.

Finally, after allowing this to go on for a sufficient length of time, the therapist got up, walked around the desk and, after asking the wife to stand, embraced and kissed her passionately.

The woman shut up and quietly sat down as though in a daze. The therapist turned to the husband and said, "This is what your wife needs at least three times a week. Can you do this?"

The husband thought for a moment and replied, "Well, I can drop her off here on Mondays and Wednesdays, but on Fridays, I go Kite Flying!!".

Has that shut thi trap. - 'Shoeshine'?

I was just noseying through the expats section which I dont normally do, Im only 25. But I love this thread. (Not the arguing bit though :)) Do you know I have never flown or tried to make a kite! Its not something I can remember any of my friends doing either! I had computers, TV, Videos and I had a happy childhood however when I hear people say they did things so simple like this which sound so much fun I do wish I had been part of it. Weird for someone of my age to say? My older relatives always say although 'us' kids have more than they ever did, their childhood was alot simpler and happier. Weird.

I did play with marbles once...................:)

We used to make `em in the 60s. A couple of sticks, some strong paper and string.

If it isnt a remote controlled jet fighter that cost at least a couple of hundred quid, the kids of today simply arent interested.

I was just noseying through the expats section which I dont normally do, Im only 25. But I love this thread. (Not the arguing bit though :)) Do you know I have never flown or tried to make a kite! Its not something I can remember any of my friends doing either! I had computers, TV, Videos and I had a happy childhood however when I hear people say they did things so simple like this which sound so much fun I do wish I had been part of it. Weird for someone of my age to say? My older relatives always say although 'us' kids have more than they ever did, their childhood was alot simpler and happier. Weird.

I did play with marbles once...................:)

ShoeShine: Written instructions on how to build a kite required.

We may even finish up with a Sheffield Forum Kite Flyers Group.

just a few weeks ago i bought my kids a couple of kites and we went up to hathersidge and loved every minute of flying.....

It is lovely to read that. I hope others follow your example but I do hope that 'Shoeshine' writes the instructions regarding making your own Kite.

In the war years they were possibly the main toys that our generation had.

Thank you TimBuck.

I'm going to obtain the materials and have a bash at building a ' Box kite '.

It's years since I last saw one. I can recollect flying one in the mid 1940s over the Manor Fields. A lot of children stood at the left-hand side edge of a cart track which ran from the end of Waltheof Road flying them.

This track after passing the anti aircraft gun batteries eventually finished at the railway Bridge near to Darnall Greyhound race track. Passing on its way a slag heap from Nunnery Colliery

On this Slag heap men played the illegal game of Tossing Coins in a Tossing Ring. Because the game was illegal some older boys earned a few pence acting as police watcher in the event of a raid.

Can anyone else add more to this?

Archived