Anyone know of Axelby?

The Axelby's who Lived just off Fitzwilliam Street.were Dennis,his Brother Donald & Sister Norma.Their Parents were Ernest & Leah.They moved in the late 50s to Reaney Road, bradway.

hiya, just read your letter and the three names rang a bell i chosedennis but i could have also have said donald but the sister norma could she have been born around 1938 ish and did she marry a lew lindenstruth by any chance,if not sorry,the ones i was thinking of lived just below the washington pub on fitzwilliam st

hiya, just read your letter and the three names rang a bell i chosedennis but i could have also have said donald but the sister norma could she have been born around 1938 ish and did she marry a lew lindenstruth by any chance,if not sorry,the ones i was thinking of lived just below the washington pub on fitzwilliam st

I think Norma was born a couple or 3 Years later than that & as far as I know,she never married.I think they lived on Eldon Street ?.

It was the Road that ran parallel with Fitzwilliam St,the Washington separated the two Roads if you know what i mean.

Ernest was a Road Roller Driver for the Council,Norma worked in the Offices at the Co-op on Ecclesall Road,I believe Dennis was an Electrician & Leah was involved in the Cutlery Trade at one time.

Ernest was my grandfather Harry's older brother. Lost touch with that side of family when my grandad passed away in the early 1990s.

Remember them all as if it was yesterday! We used to visit them when I was a proper nipper perhaps 10 years old so that would be in the 1980s when they lived on Reaney Road. Don't know where I'd got that some of the Axelby family originally came from Midhill / Arbourthorne......

Thanks for jogging my memory.....happy days!

Edited by Lab-rat

I think Norma was born a couple or 3 Years later than that & as far as I know,she never married.I think they lived on Eldon Street ?.

It was the Road that ran parallel with Fitzwilliam St,the Washington separated the two Roads if you know what i mean.

hiya re your letter above yes i knew eldon st and when i sent the letter i didn't at all recognise the name norma i just thought the family lived near the junction of wellington st and fitzwilliam st i don't remember many houses on eldon st as there were quite a few factories down there as wolstenholmes side entrance was on eldon st. when i thought about it later the one i thought was norma it was a girl called brenda, on reading your letter again was it bowden st that was the one at the back of the washington pub.

hiya re your letter above yes i knew eldon st and when i sent the letter i didn't at all recognise the name norma i just thought the family lived near the junction of wellington st and fitzwilliam st i don't remember many houses on eldon st as there were quite a few factories down there as wolstenholmes side entrance was on eldon st. when i thought about it later the one i thought was norma it was a girl called brenda, on reading your letter again was it bowden st that was the one at the back of the washington pub.

Thinking about it,i think you are right,it was Bowden Street they lived on.

Thinking about it,i think you are right,it was Bowden Street they lived on.

hiya, down bowden st there was the back wall to the washington then a piece of spare land where some kind of buildings had been that led to the houses just below the pub and below that on bowden st across from wolstenholmes were a lot of little mesters making penknives and such, we would watch them for ages when we were young, and further down was a little jewish cemetary this was just before milton st.

Edited by willybite

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hya, I initially posted the query as my mum (born 1918) was an Axelby and although I never met Grandad Axelby (her Dad) I do believe he was Irish.

She had sisters Winnie plus Kate plus brothers Dan/Joe/Dennis and no doubt others that I cannot recall.

Edited by arrodbo