Firth Park Coliseum - Can anyone remember it?

pietro

For a few years now, I've been puzzled by an old building on Page Hall Road.

At the junction of Hinde House Lane is a building that is now a washeteria. On the wall above the shop is carved "Firth Park Coliseum".

Can anyone remember it when it was the Coliseum and what date are we talking about.

• 8 months later...

I was told that the word Coliseum is 'marketplace' in Roman, so the carving may be a reference to that, rather than any exotic bloodsports that took place in the area ;)

There is a sign further along the shops on Page Hall; this one says 'Page Hall Markets 1905'.

The whole area dates from around the beginning of the last century.

I'll not so sure, PT.

I was speaking to a guide from the Victorian Society yesterday as we passed through the area, and although he was aware of the Roxy on Idsworth Road was once a cinema, he didn't think the washeteria was ever a cinema...

It's too small for starters :D

The Coliseum.
The Coliseum was on Spital Hill,

but we did have the Victory palace and the Regent Theatre on Upwell St. plus the Sunbeam Firvale and the Roxy plus the Paragon Sicey Ave,:thumbsup:

I may stand corrected, then, Abdul...

I thought the building that was being referred to, was the old cinema building, that is now a carpet showroom, or something, on the left, up the hill on the side road, as you head towards the old earl marshall school, with your back towards Herries Road's junction with Barnsley Road.

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

I thought the building that was being referred to, was the old cinema building, that is now a carpet showroom, or something, on the left, up the hill on the side road, as you head towards the old earl marshall school, with your back towards Herries Road's junction with Barnsley Road.

That one is /was the Roxy, on Idsworth Road. Over the past couple of decades, it's been a bingo hall, a snooker club, a dance hall and is now a furniture store.

Yes, it is the one were the external shots of the Shiregreen WMC were taken for the film The Full Monty ;)

Originally posted by Abdul

I was told that the word Coliseum is 'marketplace' in Roman, so the carving may be a reference to that, rather than any exotic bloodsports that took place in the area ;)

There is a sign further along the shops on Page Hall; this one says 'Page Hall Markets 1905'.

The whole area dates from around the beginning of the last century.

I did some research on that building a few years ago now, and from what I remember, it started life, newly built, as either a furniture or drapery store on several floors. I often wondered if the owner meant the name to be 'Emporium' and perhaps the mason got it wrong :D

Archived