Is suspending kids from school with certain hairstyle justified?

John

How the pupils are dressed / present themselves does have a bearing on how much discipline is perceived to exist within a school. Schools are in effect competing with each other now & how pupils are dressed can have a big impact on a school's reputation.

When parents choose which schools to send their children to they are made aware of the school's code of dress - if they accept this & send their child there then I think the school is justified in suspending any child who then breaks these rules.

Judging someone on their haircut is bonkers but a lot of us DO make judgements based on appearances (whether or not we realise it) If perceptions in society changed then it would filter through to schools too. I can't see it working the other way around.

Originally posted by mimicraze

i think its appauling that people are judged on their haircut, I mean, braids for instance, its culture and completely the norm for a lot of people, think its a bit silly that its got to the point that hair matters.

IIRC the current excuse for banning kids with braids was that the beads at the end of the hair were dangerous to other children during PE as it was more likely to hit someone in the eyes.

Whether it is a valid one is up to discusion.

• 4 weeks later...

If a kid had a hairstyle that could cause physical injury I'm sure there would be a case for suspending them. I imagine there are teachers around now with hairstyles, colours etc that would have been banned 20 yrs ago. When I was at secondary school in the 80s I had hair down my back and the teachers who were more concerned with teaching you something rather than playing Trinnie + Suzanna would compliment me for being an individual boy and for risking scorn from my peers in the pursuit of non-conformity. Yeah, other kids are distracted by anything different but the novelty soon wears off. Things move on.

Originally posted by Jamie

what about banning of religous heargear (scarfs that the muslim babes wear).

I think france have the right idea. If we were in their country we would be expected to wear headgear, and follow their way of living. So why shouldn't they follow ours?

is it a childs individuality that makes him wear his / her clothes / hair, different from the norm.?are you right to shape them into what you want them to look act and talk like? beckam,einstein,the beatles all had individuality that shaped peoples lives.....do we all wear the linen suits and caps of chairman mao now ?or do we admire different cultural styles that are amongst us ?.....as long as a person is prepared to work and be sociable then what the heck.or is it the old " youth is wasted on the young " bit rearing its head from those who time has passed by..........there endeth the lesson

Originally posted by Skatiechik

I think france have the right idea. If we were in their country we would be expected to wear headgear, and follow their way of living. So why shouldn't they follow ours?

Who the hell are "they"? Are you trying to tell me that if I went to India I would be forced to convert to Hinduism and eat curry? If I went to Iran I would be forced to wear a turban? If I went to America I would be forced to eat McDonalds every day and chant "God bless America"?

What a load of bunkum.

As for banning hairstyles, if the hairstyle is only adopted in an attempt to be rebellious, then after fair warning I think suspension is justified.

I think that schools should make it clear from the start what they expect of their pupils whether that be hair style, clothing, jewellery or whatever, in fact I'd have the parents signing a contract that their kids will abide to the set out school principles. Then if a child goes against this contract they should be given a time limit in which to correct the problem, if they don't then they should be made to face up to their disobediance.

When I was at school we had a uniform, shirt,tie, blazer and the like, if we turned up out of uniform we were given a rreplacement article of clothing from a wicker basket kept by the head teacher, bad luck if it was a bit old or scraggy.

Archived