Do your bit for our armed forces...!

The Royal British Legion isn't just for old people!

They offer help and support for local soldiers, sailors and airmen - and their families - that have been involved in conflicts ranging from the two World Wars to the Falkland Islands, Iraq, Afghanistan and Northern Ireland.

The Stannington Branch is appealing for people to join the Legion and do their bit for a worthy cause.

We meet on the last Wednesday of every month at 8pm - for details please PM me!

Hello!

There's no age limit for joining. People think it's just for old soldiers, but that's not the case!

I'm 32 and have never served in any of the armed forces. I do it just because I think it's a worthwhile cause and I wanted to do my bit.

If you want to know any more, just ask!

Cheers,

Frazer

The public's perception of the Legion is - perhaps understandably - about the Poppy Appeal in November. But the actual planning of the appeal is almost a year-round operation.

Each region (we're in South and West Yorks) has a number of caseworkers who deal with claims for assistance from former members of the armed forces or their families. This can be anything from help with accommodation issues, benefits, medical help, to claiming the medals they are entitled to.

Initially, many of these claimants are referred to the caseworkers by local members, who are the eyes and ears in the area, identifying possible recipients of our help who are often too proud to ask for it. They can be anything from 18-118 years old!

The Stannington Branch itself meets once a month at a local pub where members are updated with issues that have arisen over the last few weeks.

I'm not going to lie - many local branches are largely made up of older people, and Stannington Branch is no different. But that won't always be the way, and it doesn't alter the fact that it's still a worthwhile cause, still as relevant today as it ever was, with servicemen and women often finding things hard once they've left the services.

Whatever your politics, I believe that anyone who signs up to defend their country deserves the respect of us all. They may never go on to fire a single bullet, or perhaps they'll see active service... and maybe get taken prisoner by Iran.

But just by signing up for whatever they are required to do in the defence of our way of life and the peace we enjoy, means we owe them a lot.

Archived