Shenstone Road, Hillsborough

Hello folks .I know this is answering an old post, I'm Martin Phelan and I just wanted you to know that Pete Swan organised a reunion of all his old school pals from Hillsboro' the year before he died .We all met in the Shakey in Hillsboro'. Pete knew he was dying and was determined to see his old mates again before he shuffled off. He was very happy that night drinking once more with his old buddies, two of them Royal Navy veterans like himself.

P.S

Played in the same Hillsboro' football team as Ron Staniforth Jnr lovely bloke.

Jossman

Brian is alive and well, living in Ranmoor.

Recently retired from his job at the University and enjoying his retirement.

He is married with three grown up kids who are all in professional jobs and doing well. (Sadly, away from Sheffield.)

Did you know any lads or lasses from Fielding Road?

Happy Days!

Brian is my grandma's sisters Agnes's son married to Rosemary.

small world.

In the early 50's up to 1960 there was a core of lads & lasses living on the road who played and ganged up together. We were a close knit group and shared many happy hours together especially "down the bank" by the River Don, an ideal place to enjoy mischief. Jimmy Sellars, Kevin Meehan, John Cheswick, Ronnie Staniforth (son of the footballer), John Preddy, Garry Bostock, Elaine Trotter, Pauline Case and Phyllis Bullas. Wherever you are, thanks for the memories.

Sadly Ronnie died back up in Barrow in Furness, his birthplace, at a very young age. His sister Lynne is now in OZ.

Hi jossman, I was born on Shenstone rd 1942. Kevin Meehan was my best mate up to about 17yrs of age been trying to trace him for last few yrs no luck. I new most of the people mentioned here, also Alan Whitham,Alan Cheswick and peter Hayward, in the next street through the jennel (Eskdale rd) Christine Charles.I seem to remember the Phelans on Fielding rd.Also Kieth Thurman was a mate on Vere rd.this is really taxing the old grey matter. time for Sangria,By the way ime David Tingle (tiny)ADIOS

• 3 months later...

I also grew up on Shenstone Rd....sister of Ron Staniforth. Very happy memories of the Swanns, Meehans, Cases, Cheswicks etc. My Mum, Dad and brother all died in Barrow in Furness , Dad moved us there to take up the Player Manager position at Barrow AFC. We moved back to Sheffield, Dudley Road in fact, when Dad was appointed Coach for the Owls.

Picking up this thread , and the comment by David Tingle , I lived across the river in Dudley Road, until 1952, but knew Christine Charles well. My mother was a friend of Dolly Charles her mother , and I had Christine as a girlfriend . Christine was with Regent School of Dancing owned and run by June Wood , who has lived on Vere Road all her life and I am still in contact with her.

What ever happened to Christine Charles ?

Gary Marshman

North Wales

Picking up this thread , and the comment by David Tingle , I lived across the river in Dudley Road, until 1952, but knew Christine Charles well. My mother was a friend of Dolly Charles her mother , and I had Christine as a girlfriend . Christine was with Regent School of Dancing owned and run by June Wood , who has lived on Vere Road all her life and I am still in contact with her.

What ever happened to Christine Charles ?

Gary Marshman

North Wales

Hi Gary , I married Chris in 1962 got divorced in 1974 but still friends. Maybe i know you I went to parkside rd school 1946-1957

Hello David Tingle,

Would you believe that! Married to Christine Charles. Often wondered what happened to her . Dont suppose I have seen her since maybe early 1960's. My mother was accompianist for June Wood , and her School of Dance on Bradfield Road, and Christine was a starlet.

I was born 1944 and went to Parkside school by Wed football ground, but you would have been 2 years up on me . We left Dudley Road 1952 and moved to Crosspool, reason being my dad worked at Ranmoor , and the journey from Middlewood was a pain without a car. My mother did not want to move to Crosspool and I remember many arguments between mum and dad , and I learned the reason many years later.

Where is Christine living now ?

Gary Marshman

North Wales

---------- Post added 08-02-2014 at 11:49 ----------

Hello Martin Phelan,

Your name is very familiar, are you related to Terle Phelan, who if I remember was a dentist and drove and Aston Martin. Seem to remember Phelan was associated in some way over the years with June Wood and her school of Dance. ?

Gary Marshman

North Wales

• 1 year later...

Hi, is the Brian booth you're talking about roughly 70? Was he really into motorbikes and have 2 daughters, 1son?

They're all mid to late 30s and older? Trying to pin down a family friend but unfortunately no luck so far... Thanks