Shenstone Road, Hillsborough

Picking up this thread , and the comment by David Tingle , I lived across the river in Dudley Road, until 1952, but knew Christine Charles well. My mother was a friend of Dolly Charles her mother , and I had Christine as a girlfriend . Christine was with Regent School of Dancing owned and run by June Wood , who has lived on Vere Road all her life and I am still in contact with her.

What ever happened to Christine Charles ?

Gary Marshman

North Wales

Hello Gary,

Wondering if you remember my mum, she took part in many of June's shows about this time.

Eileen Gunstone, born 1943 . So a little older than you. They lived a couple of shops away from the Wednesday ground on pep pings lane. She had a brother Robert and a sister Catherine.

I'm trying to find some old photographs from this era. Mum was part of the acrobatic team. It's a bit foreign to me but apparently they would throw my mum through the air to each other.

It's her funeral on the 2nd march at Grenoside, so hoping to get a photo enlarged and uploaded to canvas. Do you think June Wood kept anything. I'm told she is still around and seen recently down Hillsboro

Thanking you in anticipation,

Krgds

Andrea

Hello Andrea,

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your mum.

I well remember Eileen, through June Woods school of dance in the 1950's and we would have liked to have gone out together in the day, but we didnt seem to get the chance .

I remember the shop your grand parents had on Leppings Lane.

I was'dragged' to the studio by my mum Peggy Marshman , who was the pianist accompanist for June Wood , and at shows was the 'official music turnerover ' !

I well remember the Adagio routines where such as Eileen would be thrown through the air and caught, usually this routine carried out by the fathers. Brave stuff for the time.

Certainly June Wood( Adams) still around, I get an Xmas card from her each year. still living on Vere Road.

I will look through mums old photos and see if I can spot your mum.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Gary Marshman

Hi Gary,i dont think i ever got back to about Christine.but yes we still see her ,she lives not fat from me in Spain so my missus a i meet up for a coffee now and then.Here·s a few more names from hillsbro area do you know any of these.Keith Thurman ,Hawksly Tagg,Bruce Armatige they lived vere rd and leppings lane area.I did mention you to Christine and she did remember you says hello.Thats the way to do it-

Hi I remember Betty Gunstone lived on Leppungs Lane played piano sometimes for June Woods shows in the 60s but I remember her mostly for playing piano at Wadsley Bridge methadist chapel for the May Queen & other shows

Hi Boozy.bird. I don't remember a Betty Gunstone, but will ask uncle Rob. Grandad was Fred Gunstone, I never asked if he had a sister called Betty.. He did have a sister Jessie and Patricia, they lived on middlwood road, with grandma and grandad, where the caravan sales were, once the houses had been knocked down. And of course you now have the car garage sales. He also had a brother Hope Gunstone.

Hello Andrea,

I do not have any photos of starlets that were a regular feature of June Woods shows.

I think I have a couple of photos of one of the annual trips to Blackpool maybe mid 50's , on the beach showing June and some of her pupils.

I do not recognise any of the starlets on the photos.

Best bet is to contact June at 65 Vere Road, where she may have kept photos from the day.

In those days cameras were not a commodity carried like today , but maybe June had movie even of those Adagio days .

Good luck with your quest.

Gary Marshman

---------- Post added 27-02-2016 at 17:28 ----------

Hello tinytingle,

Thanks for info. on Christine Charles.Was in the 50's mum and I would visit Christine and her mother Dolly on Eskdale Road, and they would come up to our house in Sandygate. This was all connected through June Woods school of dance. Next door but one to The Charles was a Mr.Turner we used to play in his greenhouse. Would he be still there when you courted Christine ?

I do not recognise the names you mention from Hillsborough school, in fact dont remember any names from the school. I tended to play on Dudley Road, where there was a good mix of playmates. WE could of course have come into contact in the day.

Better weather living over in Spain than the less than average we get in the UK.

• 4 months later...

My name is Roy Haynes, My mother Jenny was married to Willis Dixon who lived In Shenstone Rd, Willis used to own the fish shop on Leppings Lane .Sadly both Jenny & Willis are Now dead. I now live in Norfolk

---------- Post added 19-07-2016 at 19:44 ----------

Did you Know Iris Haynes Roy Haynes Jeff Ashmore

• 1 month later...
I knew Terry Dixon.... & some of the other lads that lived in that area Lee Oxley. Kevin Chapman ,Alan Weir, Melvin Cooper ,Trevor Jeffcock... also Knew Janet Slater, Joanne Smith,Julie Burrows,Julie Wasden, Carol Harper

Hi

I'm Lee Oxley and remember all these people. Great days growing up off Leppings Lane