Laminate flooring MEGATHREAD

A good fitter will cut to plynths that are already on. BOB at Balfour carpets fitted mine no problems at all. He has done my friends as well very satisfied. You are creating a problem that not there. Feel free to come and have a look at mine S13 area Cant see why you want fibre board under lay unless your floor is in a realy bad state. Mine hasnt and it has been down about 5 years . Ask the advice of balfours when they come to measure up. What is your trade are you

a bodger

Edited by spider1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys just a quick question,

Last time we had laminate fitted it was finished with beading around the edge. It looked really messy around the door frames as obviously door frames aren't strait angles. My questions are:

1) can a professional use beading neatly around door frames?

2) is it possible to finish with a putty or chulk?

3) recommendations for someone who will fit to a high quality in and around s6 would also be great

Thanks

If you don't want to replace/chop doorframes and skirting, we found some edging strip that sits flat to the floor so you don't have it creeping up the skirting and looking odd. It's not as good as the cutting option, but it's neater looking than the bevel type edging.

We got it in B&Q. Sticky back plastic is a bit naff, but you can fasten with some no more nails or something like.

If you don't want to replace/chop doorframes and skirting, we found some edging strip that sits flat to the floor so you don't have it creeping up the skirting and looking odd. It's not as good as the cutting option, but it's neater looking than the bevel type edging.

We got it in B&Q. Sticky back plastic is a bit naff, but you can fasten with some no more nails or something like.

No you dont need this a proper fitter will cut up to the wall [skirting ] and round door frames no problem its not a d.i y. job . :loopy:

No you dont need this a proper fitter will cut up to the wall [skirting ] and round door frames no problem its not a d.i y. job . :loopy:

But you're supposed to leave an expansion gap, under the skirting or in front of it, whichever route you take. Obviously cushion flooring doesn't have this problem, but the Q was about laminate.

But you're supposed to leave an expansion gap, under the skirting or in front of it, whichever route you take. Obviously cushion flooring doesn't have this problem, but the Q was about laminate.

Point taken ./ But you can only glue cover strip to skirting and not laminate floor looks horrible ./ If you insist on laminate and want an expanation gap only leave expantion on long side and not round door frame. You will have trouble with door closing.