Weight Lifting For Fossils.

I first started to lift weights/bodybuild in the mid eightys and kept at it until 2001 where I stopped for certain reasons that arent important here.

I managed to build a decent muscular body and was lifting some good poundages.

Over the years since then, my body has dropped into a nice orangutans physique.

A couple of years ago my other half bought me a set of barbells, some dumb bells and an e-z and biceps bar, along with the obligatory weights.

I started to use them again, theres plenty of muscle there, but its under a good thick layer of blubber. Imagine Arnold Schwartzenegger in a Jabba the hut costume.

I intend to step up my training in the next few weeks to attempt to regain at least something of my former bodybuilders carcasse. Im relying on "Muscle memory" to help with this.

Muscle memory is the bodys so-called ability to remember the maximum size of the muscles and rapidly get back to that size with the minimum of exercise.

Any of you who have broken a limb should know how fast the atrophied muscle gets back into shape.

So, are there any oldies out there who lift weights? Will I, at the age of 46 need firey jack, a truss and a block and tackle if Im to lift some decent poundages again?

Should I bother even trying? Would I be better off exercising with Dominoes or a damn good game of scrabble as my zimmer frame rests quietly in the corner of the room?

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't do it, if you really want to.

Well firstly i am by no means an 'oldie' so you can value my advice if you wish.

You should know that past the age of 30 it is harder to build muscle, but this doesnt mean it isn't achievable.

You say you have a 'layer of fat' so what you need to be doing it high reps, and low weights to burn the fat first. Low reps and high weights builds muscle, so just doing that alone won't shift the fat.

(im trying to remember my PE GCSE Theory stuff!)

Good luck jabbers and don't rush anything!

Thanks for the advice, its certainly appreciated! As for aerobic stuff, I force-march myself up an extremely steep hill each day, the entire climb takes about 30 minutes, it starts of pretty easy so thats a nice aerobic workout and then gets VERY steep, almost sheer and thats excellent for my legs, especially the calves.

I train with weights on alternate days, just a few sets of relatively heavy weights, and I doubt if I`ll overtrain because I have tons of blubber to burn!

Im getting the deep pains in the muscles that tell me that muscle is being built, its just like the old days! Im loving it!

Thanks for the advice, its certainly appreciated! As for aerobic stuff, I force-march myself up an extremely steep hill each day, the entire climb takes about 30 minutes, it starts of pretty easy so thats a nice aerobic workout and then gets VERY steep, almost sheer and thats excellent for my legs, especially the calves.

I train with weights on alternate days, just a few sets of relatively heavy weights, and I doubt if I`ll overtrain because I have tons of blubber to burn!

Im getting the deep pains in the muscles that tell me that muscle is being built, its just like the old days! Im loving it!

Thats great. I am a bit of a slacker really when it comes to excercise, but i cycle alot, and its great to feel some aches and pains the next day because it proves pushing yourself actually has some affect! I was going to say, that Aerobic and cardio work is still important even if you are concentrating on weights, so its good news that you have a decent workout, and doing it every day cant be a bad thing.

I wish i could advise you more, but im pretty novice on excercise, my mums a dietitian, she's much better than me. Its always nice to spread knowledge :) although it seems to me that you know what you are doing. I've never really understood why excercise has to be so elaborate for some people, even taking over their lives to some degree. Its much more rewarding to fit it into a daily or weekly routine and enjoy it.

keep going, don't give up, and im sure you'll reap the rewards soon. :thumbsup: thumbsup to the Jabbers.

I have a decent idea of what Im doing, I had years of experience, Im just not too sure how Ill react to the heavy training, especially at my age.

Im so overweight that when I jog up Bardon hill, my arse gets to the top 10 minutes after my nose does.

I've recently started training with free weights after spending years ******* around on machines and found the Muscletalk forums to be a really helpful resource - there are often posts on there from older people looking to get back into shape so you should be able to get the information/inspiration you need. Also Stuart McRobert's books are invaluable if you have any doubts whatsoever about your technique/form, and I believe he wrote them as a result of having to "start over" in middle-age after a weight-lifting related injury - "The Insider's Tell-All Handbook on Weight-Training Technique" is the best starting point...

Archived