25 members have voted

1. 1. Should trams accommodate bikes?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

Originally posted by John

Should trams allow bikes on board?

Would it get you using one if they did?

I'm not sure really, in my case it's a bike ride down to the nearest tram stop but once you're there it's mainly flat all the way to town so you may aswell carry on cycling.

In other people's cases though it might get them to use bikes more...

Surely the whole point of cycling is to avoid the pain of public transport ?

Taking your bike for a ride on the tram seems a bit silly, but I'm sure there are many half-hearted cyclists who would do it. What about the mother with a toddler in tow and a baby in a pushair....not much room for her if the tram is full of idle cyclists :rolleyes:

When I was a cyclist we used to aim to do between 70 and 90 miles on a Sunday outing, for longer trips we would put the bikes on a train to a suitable starting point.

OTOH if you're talking about commuting I think the secure park-and-ride tram stops will look after your bike for you.

Where would the bike go?

Would it be at the conducter discreation like a lot of the communter trains, that don't have specific bike places?

Would prices go up to cover the extra insurance?

These questions need to be addressed before I can say either way

They should allow bikes, but only if they charge a fee for taking them on board - say a couple of quid, as they would be taking up room that passengers need, and there aint enuff space during peak times as it is.

Oh and while on the subject can we get rid of the 'no eating or drinking' on the tram rule please :P

If the trams had been designed with a bigger cab, the unused driver's cab at the rear could have carried a bike or three...

I agree with greybeard, that, if you are going to be riding a bike, then why take it on local public transport? I can see the logic in a longer journey, eg by train, getting to a "starting point" , but other than that, I agree that it defeats the object.

There are logistical problems, however with transporting a bike on the tram.

As mentioned above, by Jubby, there's really nowhere to put the bike whilst the journey is happening (Someone once suggested that supertram ought to install a bike-rack, to fold out, on the non-operational end, but what about security, numbers of bikes etc.? -not to mention the kids who used to try to "tram surf" on the backs of the trams) also, it begs the questions:-

1) would the tram system need to levy a charge to transport the bike?

2) if the bike *was* to be carried, and say, placed in the wheelchair space (the only place big enough to hold a pushbike, on a tram, currently...) how would that work? would the biker need to get off the tram if a wheelchair user wanted to travel? would the chair have priority over the bike (or the pushchairs)? a wheelchair has priority over a pushchair, a pushchair has some priority over foot passengers, for the wheelchair or buggy spaces, on the buses?)

It is difficult enough, I find, as a wheelchair user, to manoeuvre my way through the shedloads of prams, shopping trolleys and fishing baskets that get dumped in what is clearly marked out as being the specific area for the wheelchairs to go.

I can't believe that these people can be so illiterate that they cannot even read Pictograms. It is quite possible that they are either pig-ignorant, just plain dense, or, perhaps, practising to be both...

One of my work colleagues, who is also a wheelchair user, like me, was on the tram, only last week and had difficulties.

She was laid into, verbally, and felt quite vulnerable, and felt very threatened by this person's intimidating attitude, when she asked them to move their dumped pushchair from the wheelchair space.

Note, it was not even someone's pushchair which was occupied, with the parent sitting in the low-section seats. It was the pushchair which had been abandoned, empty, in the wheelchair space, and left to obstruct anyone else walking through the area, as well as being an obstacle for any wheelchair user who might board the tram, and want to park up in the designated space.

Two of of the most annoying things I have found in the 10 years of the tram's operation are these, (and it's nothing to do with the design or operation of the tram or the tram network)

You board the tram in your wheelchair, and find that the wheelchair designated space is full of people standing, having left seats and standing spaces empty in the central section of the tram vehicles because they are too idle to mount the three steps into the central section, and clear the way for anyone, foot passenger, wheelchair user, or pushchair handler, to get on the tram safely.

Note to the passengers who will not move down!

FFS! move down the flaming tram! It is not necessary to take on or two steps into the tram, and then remain there, so thet there is a pile-up of other passengers behind you who cannot board, because you simply can't be Bothered to move a few yards further down. Gordon Bennett! it is no hardship to take that few extra steps and let others pass! It won't kill you to make a little more room, and not be so flaming selfish!

the second bugbear that I have with the system of boarding, is the numbers of people who board at the wrong door, and then try and push through *your* body, as they try to get to the section of the tram vehicle on the opposite end. I mean, I am crammed into the wheelchair space as far as I possibly can, yet, almost every journey, I will have someone barge me, trying to walk, bodily, through me.

Again, another open letter to the plonkers who try and push their way though me and my wheelchair...

before the tram approaches the stop, decide which section of the tram you are intending to sit in...

THEN, USE THE APPROPRIATE DOOR FOR THE SECTION YOU HAVE CHOSEN!

DON'T GET ON THE TRAM AT ONE END, AND TRAIPSE ALL THE WAY TO THE OTHER, INSIDE, AND DONT WALK THROUGH ME AND MY CHAIR. (well, rather, dont "try" to walk through my wheelchair... it wont work!)

and, Don't dump shopping trolleys, fishing tackle or prams in the wheelchair bay, as it stops a wheelchair user from getting into the space.

Sorry folks, rant over. (and please, everyone, note that it was not directed at yourselves, but at the numpties who obstruct on the trams, etc!)

PT

Originally posted by rtapper

They should allow bikes, but only if they charge a fee for taking them on board - say a couple of quid, as they would be taking up room that passengers need, and there aint enuff space during peak times as it is.

Oh and while on the subject can we get rid of the 'no eating or drinking' on the tram rule please :P

I will eat and drink on the tram, and, in fact, I will continue to do so when it is necessary, by virtue of the fact that I am diabetic.

if I feel a hypo coming on, there's no way on God's green earth that I will wait to eat something and bring my blood-sugars back up to an acceptable level. If i need to eat something, then the heck with it.. I am going to eat something whether it says "no eating" or not.

OK, if I am in the library or something (which I have not been, for a long time, now, as the central library is inaccessibe for the last 12/18 months, due to a lift failure) then, if I need to eat, then I'll go into the foyer, and eat.

Hypos, unfortunately, do not usually pick an appropriate, or convenient time to happen!

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

OK, if I am in the library or something (which I have not been, for a long time, now, as the central library is inaccessibe for the last 12/18 months, due to a lift failure)

That's disgraceful :mad:

Have you written to Blunkett, I've heard he's pretty good a kicking **sre on this kind of issue....and in his home town too.

Originally posted by rtapper

I've never been told off for eating or drinking on the tram - I always take my rubbish with me as there are bins at every stop anyway. I'm not exactly discreet about it either.

Archived