Another shooting in town last night

Internetowl

I've been to this club many times, and I have to say it’s brilliant, friendly and most of the nights/promotions (many mentioned here already) are excellent. I have found this venue to be one of the safest, friendliest places in this part of the country. I was shocked when I first heard about this totally uncharacteristic incident.

But it has recently hosted an RnB promotion.

RnB nights are bad news because there's always a small number of nonces with attitude standing around like they've watched too many movies and flashing their weekly wages like its gangsta cash. Oh so pathetic.

This is an awful thing to happen for everyone concerned with this usually fantastic venue. But I have to admit that I nearly cried with sorrow and with laughter when I heard some gossip surrounding this incident. Sorry if that makes me seem malicious but its horrible when you find something funny about something as shocking as this.

Now I've got to be careful because, as Tony says, this is sensitive, but if these rumours are true then the perpetrator/s of this crime really is/are the saddest most deluded idiot/s in the land. And I mean, to the point of hilarity. If or when what I heard ever reaches the press it will go down in history as the saddest ####wit crime of the millennium.

Really people, there's not a lot to worry about. The press is hyping this incident in it's usual having a field day way, and it is awful, but the prison showers are going to have new buttocks pressed against the tiles, if you know what I mean.

Having said this, my thoughts are with the family of the victim who, I am sure, we must all feel sympathy for. No parent deserves that (and please don't get smart with the socio comments)

i think one of things we have to be careful about is to make the destinction between black/asian youth culture (which most white people of middle class origin dont understand) and geniunely dangerous gangster types.

like i said in my previous posting, it is not exactly fair to make a sweaping statement about all r&b nights simply because they have a black and asian crowd. these are the most unfortunate people in this scenario as their social scene gets stigmatised even further.

the main thing that makes some people uncomfortable at such nights is the 'flexing' and posturing that goes on. this is not violence, it is part of the youth culture that we dont inderstand... i remember when dizzee rascal was recording in sheffield at kenwood studios, he didnt like the place because when he went into town nobody was 'flexing'! he felt like a fish out of water and equally as much an outsider as some white people would feel at your a typical r&b night. this is not to say he is a gangster (contrary to what many believe, he is not!). it is just cultural difference.

let's not forget that it was only 10 years ago that the clubs in sheffield associated with gun crime in sheffield were the arches and the music factory... that was nothing to do with r&b nights.

Scuba I don't entirely agree mate when you say flexing is part of "a youth culture many don't understand".

It's been around for ages, esp. in London, + some of us aren't that old ;)

It just isn't a nice culture IMHO. It's up front, aggressive and macho, and its about materialism and showing off. You get the same sorta thing outside the RnB scene, it's just most obvious there at the moment.

Just my opinion tho and I've never liked the aspirations and role models often generated, even as a kid.

Note I'm not talking about actual violence/gangster stuff altho I agree with you that often they get intertwined and misunderstood.

It's a shame because some of the music is great, but many of the guys do little to help themselves by trying to promote how street they still are, their criminal past, anti-gay lyrics, etc. Does my head in that anyone is actually even vaguely proud of being involved with guns or hard drugs. You could argue that this is only a minority I guess.

It's very sad that dodgy types tend to hook up with the sort of clubs some of you guys promote and I know people who have loved those nights, but unfortunately the reason they associate with them is because it IS this culture that they want to belong to.

How can you make them feel unwelcome without putting off your regular clientele? I have no answers other than trying to keep a friendly and chilled atmosphere and turning away those who are obviously posturing big time.

As you say, they'll always want to go somewhere.

Originally posted by miggy

Scuba I don't entirely agree mate when you say flexing is part of "a youth culture many don't understand".

It's been around for ages, esp. in London, + some of us aren't that old ;)

It just isn't a nice culture IMHO. It's up front, aggressive and macho, and its about materialism and showing off. You get the same sorta thing outside the RnB scene, it's just most obvious there at the moment.

Just my opinion tho and I've never liked the aspirations and role models often generated, even as a kid.

Note I'm not talking about actual violence/gangster stuff altho I agree with you that often they get intertwined and misunderstood.

It's a shame because some of the music is great, but many of the guys do little to help themselves by trying to promote how street they still are, their criminal past, anti-gay lyrics, etc. Does my head in that anyone is actually even vaguely proud of being involved with guns or hard drugs. You could a

rgue that this is only a minority I guess.

It's very sad that dodgy types tend to hook up with the sort of clubs some of you guys promote and I know people who have loved those nights, but unfortunately the reason they associate with them is because it IS this culture that they want to belong to.

How can you make them feel unwelcome without putting off your regular clientele? I have no answers other than trying to keep a friendly and chilled atmosphere and turning away those who are obviously posturing big time.

As you say, they'll always want to go somewhere.

dont get me wrong miggy, for one i am not at all associated with the night in question and scuba is nothing to do with r&b and the type of crowds associated, we just happen to run a night in the same venue... so careful with the 'you guys...'

i agree with you to a certain extent, flexing and all that goes on is not my thing, and it certainly isnt anything new like you say but i am trying to mark a clear different between a part of this youth culture (which you have to agree it is more than ever!) and genuine gangsters... i am trying to be as diplomatic as possible with respect to this issue as i think alot of people assume all black people with a swagger are gangsters!

you cant turn away a punter for having a fake limp, this is fashion! i am equally turned off by glowsticks and flouro-trance types... but we cant make judgements on the way people look... or stand!

Originally posted by miggy

"you guys..." meaning you guys who are promoting or running club nights.

And you can turn people away for anything mate, from experience!!!

Glowsticks, limp, posturing, jeans...

i am trying to draw a distinction between different types of club nights and the people that promote them, 'you guys' does kind of lump us all together.

personally i dont think it's fair to turn people away on those grounds.

i think that any decent club night shouldnt employ a dress code as it gives an air of elitism.

but that's just my point of view...

Archived