What is the horrible smell in the Fat Cat pub?

sierraman

It's ironic that the Fat Cat was one of the few good reasons to visit that part of the Don Valley in the past and it was held up as a fine example of a traditional pub that served good real ale in an authentic environment, but now that the area's on the up the same factors that made the place stand out as special now seem to be dragging it down as the area becomes more prestigious.

I've always been a big fan of the Fat Cat, but even I have had to admit that it's been lurching away from character and towards grot for the past few years. It reminds me of the Simpsons episode in which a guy walks into Moe's Tavern and comments: "This place isn't 'Faux Dive' it's a dive!"

There seem to be some people who just want to run the place down in favor of shiny new bars that are springing up all over the place, but in reality is the change in the area really going to leave room for a bastion of real ale beardy-weirdies who refuse to embrace change in as much as simply replacing a worn carpet or getting rid of manky furnature?

The area is on the up, but the pubs and bars in the area are all venues that are unique and have individual character and special atmosphere, rather than soul-less clone bars, which will help make the area good - lots of new flats do not make a good area on their own!

Real Ale is becoming much more popular these days and is not just the reserve of anoraks as it is seen as the high quality option. I'm a real ale drinker and an active member of CAMRA, but have no beard and aren't all that weird, and can embrace change!

Pubs like the Fat Cat you do not want to lose the good things such as the old traditional layout with a wooden kiosk bar and multiple rooms. Even if it doesn't really count as heritage, it's still unique and special and should be saved.

Now, a refurbishment (which the pub could do with I agree) does not have to mean ripping everything out and turning it into a one roomed characterless drinking barn. An excellent example to quote here is the Bath Hotel, where it was refitted and smartened up in a restoration stylee, with the wooden bar kiosk and art deco tiling maintained, and the pub decorated in a sympathetic way to complement the period design of the fittings. This is probably the way to go for the Fat Cat. That and training the staff to smile....

I went in last Sunday and made a point of trying to notice any smells in the bar area.

Didn't think the smell was particularly bad, I think it is just one of those old place type smells, with the old wooden bar etc, combined with the natural aromas from the jars of spicy sausages and nuts on the bar! Could be a small element of spilt beer.

Archived