Photos of the 'hundred steps' wanted

Hi PT

I think we are talking about two lots of steps here.

The ones you refere too went up the side of the "tip" onto Crookes Valley Road but the ones I know of as the hundred steps went as I said up from Bromley Street to Mushroom Lane.

Just spoke to my mum who is 86 and lived there for 39 years and she assures me that the ones upto Mushroom lane actually numbered only 48 steps and the one you refere to had 82 steps.

I wish my memory was that good!

Thanks last orders. The hundred steps were on the bottom half of Bromley Street and we lived quite near them. It was the shortest way up to the 95 bus stop. They were steep,and went straight up, wider at the bottom section but narrower at the top, whereas the other steps at the top of the street were much wider and wound their way up to the top of the tip. Both sets could be scary for me to use when it was icy as I'm disabled but there was no other choice if I needed to get the bus to go to work.

Archived