WW1 Sheffield men

Hi Dean1 can you help me I need some advice . I need to know if one of my relatives name is on one of the panels of the Menin Gate Memorial . Is there a website or register somewhere I can check ?.Thank you.

Search for your relatives name on the CWGC website, you'll get a memorial ref. number if he's on there.

Dean.

Hi Nimrod, small world, i was at Trefcon cemetery two months ago, visiting my Great grandfathers grave, 53521 Albert Dale.

Would love to know deatils of your relatives, numbers etc.

Would your Percy be Percy Banyard ? I did photograph all of the Sheffield mens headstones, including Percy's if you want a copy ?

regards

Dean.

Have PM'd you.

• 7 months later...

Hello Dean, a most worthy project ! Can give you the names of two survivors of WW1 but I don't as yet have their numbers or any photographs. Ernest Calton and his brother Arthur were both in the Yorks and Lancs regiment. They trained a Strensall Common, York and went on to serve in the major battles, the Somme in particular. I think their CO was called Wilson. Understandably, they would never talk about the war. Both worked all their lives at Sanderson Bros.& Newbould and retired on the same day with 106 years service between them. Whenever Ernest heard the word 'holocaust' he'd say "And don't forget ours !"

Hi David, thank you for the names, much appreciated. I have seen your post on the Sheffield Family History site a few months ago re the Poem, i cut and pasted a copy for my records. What i find strange is that there is an E. Calton on the Sanderson roll of honour but not an A. Calton ?

Dean.

Hi Dean,

my great grandfather's brother was killed in 1917, serving with the RFA. (I think I have communicated with you before about him).

I have his original death penny if you would be interested in a scanned copy of it being pm'd to you? I am afraid that I don't have a photograph of him, not sure where i can get one. Would love to put a face to the name.

My great grandfather survived the great war, think he served in India, I have a photograph of him in uniform. My other grandfather also survived and I have his medals (served in RAMC) and also a photo of him wearing his medals in his police uniform.

Chris.

My grandfather attempted to join up aged 15, thank God that his auntie told the recruiting sergeant where to shove his King's shilling. Is there a complete list of the fatalities, other than the names on the war memorials?

I remember talking to a lot of the guys who survived, they were only in their 60's when I was in my teens, I never met a bitter one, they just accepted what had happened to their mates, and could have happened to them. I just hope that none of my grandad's mates who did manage to join up under age were not shot at dawn, but having said that, most were killed on the Somme.

What a crap war.

My grandfather attempted to join up aged 15, thank God that his auntie told the recruiting sergeant where to shove his King's shilling. Is there a complete list of the fatalities, other than the names on the war memorials?

I remember talking to a lot of the guys who survived, they were only in their 60's when I was in my teens, I never met a bitter one, they just accepted what had happened to their mates, and could have happened to them. I just hope that none of my grandad's mates who did manage to join up under age were not shot at dawn, but having said that, most were killed on the Somme.

What a crap war.

There are searchable WW1 Service Records on sites such as Ancestry and Find My Past.

Is there a name you would like looking up?

What a crap war.

My grandad lied about his age he was just 16. He was in the Royal Engineers in WW2 not sure what reg. in WW1. He was an absolute gentleman, but like a lot of old soldiers he never spoke about what he'd seen.