WW1 Sheffield men

• 2 months later...

Hi Dean

Know you are concentrating on WW1 but I am trying to find out just where my father was posted in WW11, can't seem to get any information from the War Records section as I don't know his service number, are the records still classified do you know - any suggestion would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...
Hi Nimrod, small world, i was at Trefcon cemetery two months ago, visiting my Great grandfathers grave, 53521 Albert Dale.

Would love to know deatils of your relatives, numbers etc.

Would your Percy be Percy Banyard ? I did photograph all of the Sheffield mens headstones, including Percy's if you want a copy ?

regards

Dean.

Hi Dean,

I would love a copy of it if you have it. I Percy Banyard was/is my Great Uncle. I am currently trying to find out more about all the members of the family. I have a copy of an article (including picture) that the Sheffield Star did on the five of them at the end of the war, if you would be interested.

My grandad was Driver William Banyard RFA.

The other 3 brothers were:

Private Fred Banyard (1/4 KOYLI)

Private Bert Banyard (RE)

Private Charles Banyard (Lab Co).

Regards

Roy

Dean

Given that we are now in to the Centenary proper and last night was very emotive, has anyone said a big thank you to for getting your site, this site and all the info collated. If not a very big Thankyou from all involved, Sheffield thanks you.:)

Hi Dean

Know you are concentrating on WW1 but I am trying to find out just where my father was posted in WW11, can't seem to get any information from the War Records section as I don't know his service number, are the records still classified do you know - any suggestion would be appreciated.

You should be able to get your fathers service record if you know his date of birth. Have you contacted the Historical Records dept, at Glasgow ?

Hi Dean,

I would love a copy of it if you have it. I Percy Banyard was/is my Great Uncle. I am currently trying to find out more about all the members of the family. I have a copy of an article (including picture) that the Sheffield Star did on the five of them at the end of the war, if you would be interested.

My grandad was Driver William Banyard RFA.

The other 3 brothers were:

Private Fred Banyard (1/4 KOYLI)

Private Bert Banyard (RE)

Private Charles Banyard (Lab Co).

Regards

Roy

When you get to 5 posts I'll send you a PM

Hi there, I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any living relatives of this man:

Arthur Walker was born on 25th August 1892 and was christened at Loxley Congregational on 6th November.

His parents were John Walker (born 1867) and Mary Elizabeth Walker nee Staton (or possibly Station or Stayton), born 1869/70. They were married in Aldwick Upon Dearne on 10th November 1891.

Arthur attended the Loxley Congregational Sunday School and then the Loxley Wesleyan Bible class.

He joined up with other members of his bible class to the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, 1st Bn. (Lance corporal, no.13399).

Arthur died on 8th May 1915 at Ypres. He has no known grave but is commemorated on Menin Gate in Belgium as well as Stannington War Memorial and Loxley Methodist Church roll of honour. His death was reported, with a photograph, on 4th June 1915 in the Sheffield Daily independent.

At the time of his death his parents were recorded as living in Rowell Bridge.

Arthur also had a younger brother Bernard born June 1896 in Aldwick Upon Dearne who enlisted in the York and Lancaster Regiment 13th Bn (Barnsley Pals). Private no. 27243, enlisted at Mexborough.

Bernard died of wounds on 6th December 1916 at Le Treport. He is buried at the cemetery in Mont Huon, Le Treport, France. He is also named on the Stannington War Memorial and Loxley Methodist Church roll of honour beside his brother.

That is as much as I've been able to find out, Walker is a common name so it's not easy to research. I don't live in Sheffield so I'm hoping someone with some local knowledge can get me a bit further. When I get a chance I am planning to come to the area to see if I can see his picture and where he lived and worshiped.

The reason I'm looking for Arthur's family is that I have his bible (it came into my shop as part of a large lot of second hand books). It isn't valuable but I think it should be returned to his family, especially at this time of remembrance.

Hi there, I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any living relatives of this man:

Arthur Walker was born on 25th August 1892 and was christened at Loxley Congregational on 6th November.

His parents were John Walker (born 1867) and Mary Elizabeth Walker nee Staton (or possibly Station or Stayton), born 1869/70. They were married in Aldwick Upon Dearne on 10th November 1891.

Arthur attended the Loxley Congregational Sunday School and then the Loxley Wesleyan Bible class.

He joined up with other members of his bible class to the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, 1st Bn. (Lance corporal, no.13399).

Arthur died on 8th May 1915 at Ypres. He has no known grave but is commemorated on Menin Gate in Belgium as well as Stannington War Memorial and Loxley Methodist Church roll of honour. His death was reported, with a photograph, on 4th June 1915 in the Sheffield Daily independent.

At the time of his death his parents were recorded as living in Rowell Bridge.

Arthur also had a younger brother Bernard born June 1896 in Aldwick Upon Dearne who enlisted in the York and Lancaster Regiment 13th Bn (Barnsley Pals). Private no. 27243, enlisted at Mexborough.

Bernard died of wounds on 6th December 1916 at Le Treport. He is buried at the cemetery in Mont Huon, Le Treport, France. He is also named on the Stannington War Memorial and Loxley Methodist Church roll of honour beside his brother.

That is as much as I've been able to find out, Walker is a common name so it's not easy to research. I don't live in Sheffield so I'm hoping someone with some local knowledge can get me a bit further. When I get a chance I am planning to come to the area to see if I can see his picture and where he lived and worshiped.

The reason I'm looking for Arthur's family is that I have his bible (it came into my shop as part of a large lot of second hand books). It isn't valuable but I think it should be returned to his family, especially at this time of remembrance.

You could try posting your query on Sheffield Indexers or Sheffield Records on Line or Sheffield Family History sites as there are many links on these sites and also many helpful, knowledgeable contributors.

• 5 months later...

Hi Dean Your last post was August 2014 - DO hope you can help me with my father in law WILLIAM MERRILL -Born in Sheffield 20 March 1892 and died Sheffield 20 May 1950 He joined we believe the Yorkshire Light Infantry and was sent to France 13 April 1915 was discharged 29 April 1916- Was not married during this time married 16 August 1916

I have the medal card which we believe was him giving the Regiment Number 2207- but no Soldiers number. I have been searching for years but live in ew Zealand - so all takes time - His son (my husband died recently) I was hoping to give him information but now can pass on to our son and our grandchildren. You are doing a wonderful job regards E

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 14:59 ----------

Married 16 JULY 1916 not August 1916 - and I am in New Zealand :)

Hi ancestry.co have the medal card info they were doing this free, not sure if this offer is still on, but you can normally join on a 14 day trial basis free of charge to see if it's for you!

SDGW CD rom is available from the Naval & Military press ltd but it's not cheap several hundred pounds, if you want free details of casualties and where they are buried or commemorated search CWGC.org this site is free and is excellent.