WW1 Sheffield men

Hello,

Here are my wife's two great uncles (both Somme casualties), if you don't already have their names:

------------------------------------------------------------

Private Albert Judge No. 235211 - York and Lancs. Regiment

KIA 18/05/1917 - Aged 20 - No known grave - Name on Bay 8, Arras Memorial. Born and raised on Bernard Street, Park

Private Charles H. Judge 19423 - 6th/7th Royal Scots Fusiliers

KIA 10/08/1916 -Age: Not known - No known grave - Name on Pier 3C Thieval Memorial

Also from Bernard Street, Park

Here's something else:

One evening in 1998, when it was just about dark, my wife and I were searching the registry in the cemetery at Hooge Crater on the Menin Road. We were looking for another distant relative but found this name:

Rifleman Charles Bertram Judge No.315151 - London Rifle Brigade

KIA 16/08/1917 - Age 18

Home address given as Northumberland Road, Sheffield

Hope this is all of some use

Regards

A very ambitious project, and I wish you well with it. I have one misgiving about it, though, and that is your decision to limit it to those who were actually born in Sheffield.

The first drawback of this is a practical one. There will be many people who have information that they might think of sending it to you, but hold back because they do not know the origins of the servicemen concerned. For example, I have information about men buried in war graves in Walkley Cemetery and also a list of those whose names appear on the war memorial, but I don't know immediately where they were all born, and there will be many records which list those who died in service which do not record that information. How many of the 5000 records you already have refer to people you know were born in Sheffield? Have you found them all in the birth index or in a census entry?

My second misgiving is that in a sense it is unfair to servicemen and their families who would consider themselves Sheffielders although some of them were born elsewhere. The growth of population in Sheffield throughout the 19th century and into the 20th was remarkable. Many of those who came to the city to find work brought families, and many their children would grow up thinking of themselves as Sheffielders. Those who died in the war would have left grieving families in Sheffield and their names on memorials in Sheffield churches, schools and workplaces, as well as the Roll of Honour. But because of the 'accident' of their place of birth they will be excluded from your study.

I would be interested to know how you came to the decision to restrict your area of study in this way. Was it a practical or a philosophical decision?

Hugh

hi hughw

thanks for your reply and thoughts

im using SDGW as a starting point to this study as it is very easy to get a lot of information very quickly. im also aware there are a lot of errors on SDGW.

as i have said this will be an evolving work in progress for years to come.

there are many groups and individuals in the city researching individual men, area memorials etc.this study is one step on, although a massive one!!

i dont want to exclude anyone from the study, it is just the mechanics and the size of the study facing me that i thought id start with sheffield born first.

if anyone sends me any information on any soldier from ww1 with a sheffield connection it will be saved for probable inclusion later.

hope this clears up any of your misgivings hughw.

regards

Dean

hi all

this is a biggy!

i have 3 long term projects on the go at the minute.

the war history of my great grand father, L/cpl 53521 Albert Dale, 2nd Bn york and Lancs, KIA 18/9/18 this is a 7 yr work in progress but about 99% complete. just need a photo of him.

L/cpl 6012 George William Redfearn Glossop, KOYLI KIA 18/4/15. he was my mothers grand mothers first husband. i have just started on george.

and then this one!

this is really long term

im am going to try and attempt to list and chronicle every sheffield born man/woman who died in the great war, or died later as a result of wounds gas etc. thats the army, navy and flying corps. i will be after name,rank,No, age, where lived, where died and buried, photos, jobs they did before war, etc etc. everything and anything on these men and women. i already have basis details on about 5000 men at present. i am aware of the sheffield roll of honor, but this included men domeciled or working in sheffield, i am after men born in sheffield. i have also trawled the SDGW cd and CWGC. also looking for any works memorial plaques around sheffield. am aware of a few of these already and have got the details off them.

i know this is a massive request forumers but these men need remembering and there isn't one comprehensive data bank in this city i know of.

re photographs, papers, letters etc, - i am not asking for any originals, just copies. they are yours and priceless.

many thanks in advance

Dean

ps. if this takes off i will leave the thread running and post replies as they build up.

If you pm me your email address I will send details of my uncle who was killed 3-5-1916 and whos body has never been found.

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

As I said above, I think this looks like a great project but still think you migh want to get other people/groups/institutions involved rather than trying to shoulder the burden on your own - you would need decades to do this!

The other thing is that it will be the archives, local societies and library that can get you the publicity you need.

The other points that occured to me immediately were the cost - far from being a question of appealing for wealthy benefactors on the forum, there are established organisations which might fund this type of project; but for them to do so you would need links and support from recognised institutions.

You also need to make sure that you're fulfilling digitisation standards (there is no point people scanning documents, photos and photographing objects if these aren't done in a way museums and archives can use). This is very simple (making sure people use a high resolution, certain file formats), and if you PM me an e-mail address I'll e-mail you the latest guidelines.

Similarly, you need to make sure you have copyright for the images. This is only a small headache, but get people to sign a form saying it is ok for you to use the images for a website, books and pass them on to archives and museums, etc. etc. The best people to talk to about all this would be the archives. Again this is very simple and wouldn't be a problem for you to get sorted, but without it you're seriously limiting what you could with your stuff at a later date, which would be a real shame.

Hi Red Wizard

Can you let us know where you can get the info on the latest guidelines on copying images so they can be used by Dean1 and others on the forum who would benefit.

I have some WW1 images of my father but the picture quality is not good and if there is a way to improve them to an acceptable then I'll do it.

I am currently investigating his army service and so hopefully I will have some factual events to back up the images.

Happy Days!

First of all can you tell me how to access the Medal Index Card, downloadable from National Archives?

Also what is SDGW?

My Grandfather, born and bred in Sheffield and died there, served in WW1. I have sketchy information and some photos - probably a light-horse regiment, but if you can answer my first two questions I can find out more.