WW1 Sheffield men

Hi its me again - seem to have had lots of ancestors in WW1 here is another - my granny's brother Herbert Whomersley

WHOMERSLEY, HERBERT

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 02/12/1917

Service No: 35757

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 108 to 111.

Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL

hi smary

excellent info!

i have just under 6000 names on the data base at present and out of the four you have sent me i only had scant info on tom winters!

and i would love a photo of charles alfred foster on his horse.

i will pm you my e-mail address.

regards

Dean

Hi

Here are two of my great uncles, although it says Thomas was Australian he was born in Attercliffe, and C J stands for Colin Joseph.

Name: HODGES, THOMAS

Initials: T

Nationality: Australian

Regiment/Service: Australian Imperial Force

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 3rd Echelon, G.H.Q

Date of Death: 12/11/1918

Service No: 1965

Additional information: Son of Charles James and Sarah Elizabeth Hodges, of 16, Brompton Rd., Attercliffe, Sheffield, England.

Grave/Memorial Reference: S. III. EE. 19.

Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN

Name: HODGES

Initials: C J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/04/1919

Service No: 52590

Additional information: Son of Charles James and Sarah Elizabeth Hodges. Native of Attercliffe, Sheffield.

Grave/Memorial Reference: XIV. A. 1.

Cemetery: TERLINCTHUN BRITISH CEMETERY, WIMILLE

They both died as a result of the flu rather than of wounds.

My Uncle James Henry Archer was Killed in action WW1 on the somme 5/2/1917 aged abt 30. He was a leading seaman in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve & his service number was "Tyneside Z/6963" His name is listed on

the Theipval Memorial France. I cannot find his name on any Sheffield

Memorials. He was in the Hood Battalion.

• 3 weeks later...

hello Dean,

It was good to meet you in Walkley this morning.

If you pm me an email address I will send you the database I mentioned (it's in MSExcel).

cheers,

Hugh Waterhouse

• 3 months later...

Hi Dean I have just found your thread.

My grandfather born 25th.July 1887 died 10th.September 1918

R3326 Corporal Albert Burley 7, Webster Street, Carbrook, Sheffield.

Kings Royal Rifle Corps enlisted and posted to Depot 6th.September 1914

Posted to 9th.Battalion 8th.September 1914

Posted to Depot 28th.August 1915

Posted to 6th.Battalion 19th.November 1915

Posted to 7th.Battalion 8th.December 1915

Appointed Lance Corporal 13th.January 1917

Promoted to Corporal 15th.October 1917

Posted to 1st. Battalion 24th.January 1918

Killed in Action 10th.September 1918

Burried Queant Road Cemetery, Buissey, Cambrai, France. Plot 8, Row D, Grave 18

Medals Issued, Military Medal London Gazette 17th.June 1917, Bar to the Military Medal London Gazette 2nd. February 1919, Croix de Guerre London Gazette 1st. March 1919,

1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal.

I have his full descrition from his records. A Military Medal Commendation, so I have a photograph. I have had an memorial errected to my father in Tinsley Park Cemetery 69DB with an inscription to my grandfather. I never knew of him and I am very proud to have found him. I do not know what information you require, but I have maps of the battle area they were fighting and the record of the battle from the Dept. of Books.

Marie

I have been doing the family history for a couple of years - thought that you might like this to add to your data. A relative was:

Private John Henry Wellesley Lilburn - 29916, C Company 1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment. he died aged 19 ( after , we believe being in France for 3 years) He was killed in action on the 26th August 1918 and his name is on Panel 4 at the VIS-EN-ARTOIS Memorial near Arras. His home ws 11 Newhall Road, Attercliffe. I have photos of the memorial if you would like copies. Good luck with your bold venture

God! it makes me well-up, to think of these young men.

These lads were contemporary with my grandpa, they lived in the same area as my grandpa, he probably worked side by side with them, schooled side by side with them, fought side by side with them...

Only difference is, he came back, (albeit "minus" some of his knee!) and bless em' they didn't! God-rest them

I have just read Lyn McDonald's book '1915-The Death of Innocence' which contains photographs and eyewitness accounts of the slaughter & maiming of those brave lads.

I do believe most of them were innocent souls who really didn't know what they were getting into when they joined up.

The one thing that struck me when I read the book is how sudden soldiers were killed, one minute there were hundreds if not thousands and half an hour later most of them were dead or wounded.

The book is an excellent read and I can recommend it if anyone wants to get a feel for those brave lads.

It's no wonder they were all given medals, they ought to have been as big as dustbin lids .

My father had four army numbers during his service and so I enquired why his numbers were changed.

It seems everytime he was taken out of action due to wounds, gassing etc. he couldn't return to his own unit as there was too few of them left so he was issued a new number to join another unit.

Not Very Happy Days!