Sheffield Nightlife - why has it gone backwards?

Ronsize

Originally posted by Andy C

I know this one has been bandied about before, but a planning application has recently been put in to convert the old Sally Army Citadel into a nightclub!

i looked into this about a year ago, somebody had already tried applying for a late license and had been declined because of the accomodation nearby... the estate agent made it quite clear so i pursued it no further.

it is a shame tho because it would make an awesome venue (a little on the large side maybe), the main auditorium upstairs in incredible!

something is going on with it tho, builders are in there at the moment, i would suspect it will be a bar or something.

• 2 months later...

I definately agree and have been thinking the same for some time. I also remember pulse and vogue down attercliffe, very cheesy but way better than kingdom and it was a cheaper taxi fair back to chap. miss the capitol also so much, had some brilliant nights in there :(

You guys have failed to mention all the competition which has been offered from other cities around us- Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, Birmingham....

All these cities tend to have a ''buzzin'' atmosphere in the city centre whereas....sheffield has only clocked onto this recently - dats y we're building the gateway to the city centre which may bring new life into the city centre- especially between the trainstation and city centre....

i fink nxt yr tings will start to get better!!Touch wood!!

1 Reason only- Sheffield City council!!!!!!

They refuse late licenses, stop clubs from opening and are trying to stop the problems of drink/drugs by making everyone stay in, its absolutly mad.

Nottingham on a saturday night is amazing- the city centre is alive with people going out and enjoying themselves round all the bars instead of everyone trying to cram themselves into the 6 or 7 decent bars in town and throwing as much alcohol down there neck before 11pm as possible.

Originally posted by NatalieSheff

have to say i totally agree with snottyandy:hihi: notts ace. and the shops are cool too. lots prettier than to walk around

Oi you!!! I have requested a name change so don't u take the mickey :P

the problem is that sheffield city council has no game plan. they let the money do the talking, which means that massive chain bars and property developers get all the attention simply because their money is welcome.

they fail to see the importance of a vibrant and diverse nightlife for the welfare of the city, this should rank alongside art gallerys, theatres and so on as part of the city's culture... rather than the occasional mention of gatecrasher as being iconic of sheffield having a thriving nightlife... they simply dont have a clue.

the council doesnt support the club scene, they only see it as being a bunch of gangsters littering the city centre with flyposters and bringing in people with guns.

help us out! give us some flyposter sites, be flexible with licenses and do your job and sort out the gangsters rather than blaming it on the clubs!!!

:help:

Archived