Sheffield Nightlife - why has it gone backwards?

Ronsize

Originally posted by E-Man Groovin

Or just take a walk around Brick Lane in London. Some great old buildings are now selling second hand clothes or are bedouin-style cafe's or are clubs such as 93 feet East.

All of this stuff comes up from the ground - that's where the interesting stuff occurs and not from the corporates, whose bottom line is the all-mighty dollar.

Nice post. London has money and everthing is central in one way or another... I agree that there's not enough 'doers' in this world and too many talkers.

Originally posted by E-Man Groovin

You know what I'd like to see - some cool people taking over the disused industrial buildings and turning them into fun party & retail spaces.

Inspirations for this idea come from things like Luftkastellet in Copenhagen where a bunch of arty kids converted a huge disused warehouse into a space with a nightclub, sleeping quarters and a cafe. Apparently it was way cool.

Or just take a walk around Brick Lane in London. Some great old buildings are now selling second hand clothes or are bedouin-style cafe's or are clubs such as 93 feet East.

All of this stuff comes up from the ground - that's where the interesting stuff occurs and not from the corporates, whose bottom line is the all-mighty dollar.

Rant over.

p.s. I've even got a name for my disused-warehouse event idea. We could call it 'Der'lict' (if you've seen Zoolander you'll get my drift), and the first building we could hold a huge party in would be Forgemasters!

it would be great but it all takes money. we don't have many rich adventurous or generous people around here. And regardless of the state of the property owners appear to want to demand silly money

I think it has definitely gone backlwards. There was a time a couple of years ago and you had tues club, phonetics, ny sushi, remedy, scuba and smaller nights like disoriental and all that. It seems that good nights create good nights if you know what i mean. they bounce off each other i think. a couple of them go and the whole things is weaker. i think urban gorilla is just another pills place. I appreciate what they are trying to do but 12 pounds !!!! For christ's sake.

i think sheffield people are to blame too, they don't support the nights enough

I remember being at Uni and people from Nottingham, Lincs, Derby etc going on about how good Music Factory was.

More recently I know people from all round the country who visited Sheffield specifically to go to Gatecrasher at its height.

Now we have nothing to attract people from outside (or inside) the city

Tis going through a period of flux but there's always stuff round the corner....think the main problem in Sheff is venues. Not ideas. That Golden girl is right: nights do feed off each other. Sometimes too much of similar stuff can make the scene a bit of a tourist route like Leeds...but too little makes it harder to push against the flow....

Archived