Sheffield Nightlife - why has it gone backwards?

Ronsize

Originally posted by NatalieSheff

i just find leeds unbelievably friendly and more my age (24) sheffield full of kids and drunk boys at min, and no decent place to hang.

elected driver? thats usually me cos cant be bothered to drink as its so POO

Sheffields Building up nicely and 2005 should be interesting. Plenty of parties on the horizon, with a little diversity, something for everyone. Had the misfortune to visit Leeds a few weeks back for the first time in years. What a load of Pishh!!! Had to follow my companions around and que to get into ram packed bars full of the 3 in 1 haircut mob, who seemed strangely intent on trouble and none of the friendlyness i experience in Sheffield. Ended up in Basics which was not up to much at all, it honestley seemed to me that al the weekend tourists and students either wanted a piece of u or something to chuck up there noses. The town is saturated with venues catering to these tourists and students and the drink prices and music policies were reflective. The fellows over there will be looking to us in Sheffield and wondering what we are doing right. Like I said 2005 is just a round the corner an I feel its going to be a belter!!!

• 5 months later...

Having worked in Nottingham for a couple of years, I noticed how competitive the place is to promote in. The place is full of late bars where you can have a hassle (d#ckhead) free drink.

The problem is that the place is saturated with bars and clubs now, to the point where Nottingham City council aren't issuing any more licenses. Think the police object cos a BBC Panorama doco 2 years ago!

Still, moved back to Sheffield a few months ago and have noticed that there seems to be less good nights around. Maybe we are seeing a change of culture in going out, which is being driven by the intent to reduce binge drinking etc.

Although I do not agree that closing the clubs is the answer. nor is putting drinks prices up cos people will just fill up on Tesco cheap booze before going out!

anyhow something is afoot!

Archived