Moving abroad advice needed

Hi im hoping to move abroad in the next couple of months but i cant make my mind up where to go,it is our intention to book a couple weeks in almeria or the costa del sol and take it from there,i have been to many places in spain and like them all but am going for the climate,i would be very grateful for any advice from expats abroad about places to avoid and nice places to live,we are in our late 40s and have 2 teenagers,so schools are a must aswell,thx mel

I think the question is,can you blend in well with the locals?some real horror storys I.E great country but full of strange people,and that is why i found Canada such a great place,once you've determined your lifestyle,its here somewhere,B.C & Victoria has everthing but houseing very dear same with Calgary (but not compared to U.K) the rest of the country is cheap,a lot depends on will you be working or just relaxing in the sun or playing in the snow ,Also a lot of first class schools or uni's

Hi im hoping to move abroad in the next couple of months but i cant make my mind up where to go

My advice is to sit tight till you can make your mind up.

Such a big decision as emigrating is not like booking a holiday so you need to look at the work situation of where you plan on going. Wether or not you will need a visa. Education, medical requirements, language,etc.

Some countries require you to have a certain amount of money to live on for the first year in case you don't find work, so that you are not a burden on the state.

As for Flyers comment on housing I don't know where they were looking I live in Lower Mainland BC and it has more than enough housing. The people are great, the place is great, there's no problem finding work education is good too. Driving is a bummer tho as after 90 days you need to apply for a BC licence they won't exchange it for a UK one, you have to take your test again. I found a way round that though. If you go to Saskatewan they will exchange your licence like for like.

Then you go back to BC and they will exchange your Saskatewan licence for a BC licence:loopy: :hihi:

It is wise to visit a potential place to emigrate to on holiday to see what it is like.

There is a lot to consider, home, schools, jobs, language, food, locals etc.

I knew someone who did all that, planned the move for months, but couldn't settle and was back in Sheffield within three months.

Hi im hoping to move abroad in the next couple of months but i cant make my mind up where to go,it is our intention to book a couple weeks in almeria or the costa del sol and take it from there,i have been to many places in spain and like them all but am going for the climate,i would be very grateful for any advice from expats abroad about places to avoid and nice places to live,we are in our late 40s and have 2 teenagers,so schools are a must aswell,thx mel

My brother relocated to the Mar Menor on the Costa Callida. He intergrated into a small village called Los Urrutias 10 minutes from Murcia (los alcazares) airport. They love it but researched their move for over 18 months, so be warned. Ex Pat communities in Spain are very tedious and are to be avoided ( my brothers advice) apparantly they can be very bitchy. Lots of re-invented tuppence halfpenny millionaires. They prefer the quieter village life in a mixed community. They have a lovely detached bungalow very close to all amenities. His advice to you is do as much research as you can to suit the lifestyle you want.

Hi all thx for your quick replys,i have been doing research on the net for over 2yrs and have been going abroad for over 25 yrs,so im not so new to the idea of relocating,i think we would love a nice village location,we have been in the licensing trade for nearly 20 yrs and do like intergrading and meeting new people and have moved about over the years and have always settled well,we are in the process of selling up and our idea was to go when the kids break up for the holidays giving us 6wks to move about and get a feel for different places and find schools,we are having atleast a year off as we have deserved it,and have a couple of buisness ideas when were ready,but they also have to be thought out better when were settled,canada is a wonderful place but to far in an emergencey ,a flight from spain is 3hrs or so,if we had to nip home makeing spain more appealing as it takes us longer to get to london,i really fancy going to almeria,keep your posts comming any advice appreciated thx

My advice is simple. Wherever you go, try to accept the fact that their customs, menus, foods, and lifestyles are different from yours. Carping about how much better it is back home won't win you many friends. I notice the problem when we have visitors from UK or Ireland for a vacation who don't like the food or anything, luckily its only for a short while.

I moved to Spain in 1984 but on a boat which I built and took through the french canals. This gave me plenty of time to see the Med. and decide where to settle. Because of the weather the Costa-del sol was my choice but as someone said it's full of " millionaires " and retired generals but there are a few normal people. I left for Florida in 1995 and find it much better in some respects but the hurricanes are a bit of a problem. My choice would be Nirja but I'm a bit out of date.

My advice is to sit tight till you can make your mind up.

Such a big decision as emigrating is not like booking a holiday so you need to look at the work situation of where you plan on going. Wether or not you will need a visa. Education, medical requirements, language,etc.

Some countries require you to have a certain amount of money to live on for the first year in case you don't find work, so that you are not a burden on the state.

As for Flyers comment on housing I don't know where they were looking I live in Lower Mainland BC and it has more than enough housing. The people are great, the place is great, there's no problem finding work education is good too. Driving is a bummer tho as after 90 days you need to apply for a BC licence they won't exchange it for a UK one, you have to take your test again. I found a way round that though. If you go to Saskatewan they will exchange your licence like for like.

Then you go back to BC and they will exchange your Saskatewan licence for a BC licence:loopy: :hihi:

Maybe i've been watching to much T,V but what i saw on the B.C channel the price scared me off ,you can still get a good 4 bedroom in a good area in Ont for$120to $160 & in Nova Scotia that would buy a 25 plus farm the only thing that make's me a little nervous is when the wife starts watching to the country on B B C Canada those little cottage's cost 750 &up & thats in pounds:help: :D :D :help:

I moved to the Almeria 2 years ago from Sheffield and have never regretted it. However, finding work is difficult, and wages are low (but so is cost of living).

There are a number of websites that are useful for people thinking of moving to Almeria/Andalucia, eg costaalmeria.com, or andalucia.com.

With regard to moving out over the summer, you may find it difficult to find a long term rent over July and August as most landlords can get more money for short term rents.

Coming out for a year and renting is a good idea. If you can afford it I would recommend selling all your furniture in the UK (storage and relocation costs are expensive and furniture from the UK never seems to match the andalucian lifestyle/houses.

Where you locate depends on whether you want village life or the coast. However there are very few villages that now dont have Brits living in them and there are many Brits who have lived here for years and still dont speak a word of Spanish!!. However dont underestimate the difficulty your children will experience going to school and learning in a foreign language, there is limited provision for them to learn Spanish at school and most just have to sit in the lessons and pick it up!!

Good luck in your new venture

Archived