Rag and bone men

whisper

I used to have a job at the weekends leading the rag and bone mans horse and cart around the streets, this allowed him to go in the back yards and do his yelling,he would do better that way and he would pay me two bob a weekend.we're talking about 1945 now.

l also remember the ice cream man on the bike but that was before you could buy Walls, his name was cheathams, lm not sure how he made his ice cream,but it was made without sugar or cream due to rationing,it used to taste quite good too,until Walls ice cream came in the shops after the war, then we found out what real ice cream was all about.

They are not a thing of the past..One came down our steet this morning..and I gave him my duff car battery...They come around every week..They do a great service taking away stuff that the Council reject, scrapped exaust pipes, old cookers , redundant satalite dishes, ..This is in "Stockton on Tees" by the way...It's lot like Sheffield used to be in the 60's ..Perhaps thats why i've stayed here for 35 years

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The rag and bone man off london road was actually my grandad John Collins.And reading the posts has brought back fantastic memories which were great.He was my mums Dad and my mum sadly died last year.My brothers used to go out with him all the time and used to laugh at the way he shouted any ol' rags , even we never got usedto him shouting that loud.

As by brothers got older they hide when he shouted

my old man told me when they were kids the rag man used to give them newly hatched chickens

We used to get little chicks off ours, we lived in Renishaw ( Derbyshire ).

Once they got big my grandad had them in his garden and then they went onto to the dinner table!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived