Rag and bone men

whisper

We used to go out to a vinegar man, he had a van with a large barrel in it that you could fill an old pop bottle from.

He also sold other household goods like soap, pegs, and detergent, polish etc.

One day I went to the pantry and got a bottle of pop, taking a good swig before spraying vinegar everywhere, not advisable.

:gag: :gag: :gag:

Ringtons Tea has been on the go for years They now operate from Peter Stwith a fleet of modern vans Surprised that anyone has not heard of RingtonsThey serve all Sheffield area, Chesterfield and district Good Tea!!

A Turkish Islamic student has been staying with us for a few weeks ...Last Sunday she told me that she heard the the local Holy man calling the people to worship...I hadn't the heart to tell her it was only the rag'n'bone man.

Hi,

We used to get goldfish from our rag and bone man at Woodseats in the 60's. Don't think they lived very long...

me too i remember the gold fish proberbly left over from the fair they didnt last long either

Ringtons Tea has been on the go for years They now operate from Peter Stwith a fleet of modern vans Surprised that anyone has not heard of RingtonsThey serve all Sheffield area, Chesterfield and district Good Tea!!

A friend of mine has a Ringtons Tea Pot can't be many of them about now? A Photo

Going back to rag and bone men i remember a yard/stables near to Norfolk Park (bottom entrance) on Norfolk Park road,

i think that was Johny Collins's place ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Could you tell me more about the stables.Johnie collins was my grandad and his daughter Edna was my mum .She told me bits about the stables but she died last year and I wish I asked her more.I know he had alot of horses there.Thanks Claire

Sorry i am late with the reply clair3725, i was only young when your grandad had the stables so all i can recall was the horses grazing in a field near to the park.

I have spoken with an elderly person about this and he said that John Collins had a place on Hill Street off Bramall Lane.

He also mentioned Johns son who he said moved away from Sheffield to take a pub at South Kirkby (Barnsley Area), he can't remember the name of the pub though.

yes the shopwas on the end off hill street at the side of the old petrol station on the corner not been down for years my dad took me years ago to meet my cousins i rember the old grandfather clock at the side of the scales back in the late 60s.early 70s and the home made wheel barrow parked on the road but you may know of my grandmother nora collins in the rag trade

Archived