Sheffield's Islands

The query about Sheaf Island jogged my memory about all the other 'islands' we had in Sheffiled.

The ones I know of were Bacon Island, Kelham Island, and Long Island - all associated with the Don....and Sheaf Island. There was also a small plot of land between Millsands and the Don, close by Waingate called 'The Isle'.

Are there any others ?

All these islands were plots of land lying between the river and a goit (mill-race) that served a water wheel at sometime in the past. When they were romantically christened as 'islands' they would have been in much more rural situations than they are now.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a place called The Island at Woodhouse Mill.

It was situated at the junction of Furnace Lane and Retford Road where there are a few terraced houses left.

Apparently the only way onto the Isand was by way of Retford Rd two rivers making a triangle on which the houses were built.

I went to live in the Mill in 1965 and the Island was not there then but the older people of W Mill talked of living there.

It was said to be over run wth rats and very damp, but the people who lived there spoke very fondly of it. I used to talk to old Mrs Swallow who told me many a tale of her young married life there.

hazel

Archived