NHS Dentists/Lack of.

Jossman

On the 24th of April I will be starting a 440 mile round trip to see my NHS Dentist in Sheffield. Here in the South 87% of the population have no access to NHS Dentists. Thank God I stayed with my Dentist up there, costs of private treatment are astronomical yet the Gummint still take the full amount of NHI from your pay packet. An extraction, privately can cost anything up to £100 and a full set of dentures £500-£600.

One of the main reasons that the NHS started way back in 1948, was to give the British Public better facilities for oral hygeine. Where does this Gummint get off????? Are they expecting the problem to just fade away???? Who the hell knows.

Thanks for the reply Sarah. Unfortunately at my age I am having a new set of dentures (£500), the trip to Sheffield would not even cost the equivalent of a private extraction (£100). Good job I have family and friends to put me up.

at least you have dental care through NHS. In Australia, medicare (aka NHS) only covers doctor/xray/public hospital. The waiting list for the government Dental Hospital is years - so if you want a crown you can wait a year in between each step of the treatment. My average trip to the dentisT (for a check up) is around 60 pounds. A filling around 120 pounds and a crown about 500 pounds - a friend is having dentures fitting just now and he's up for about 3,000 pounds. You can only claim any of this if you have private medical insurance or if your total out of pocket expense is over 300 pounds - and only that portion over that amount!

If you're thinking of emigrating - keep this in mind.!

at least you have dental care through NHS. In Australia, medicare (aka NHS) only covers doctor/xray/public hospital. The waiting list for the government Dental Hospital is years - so if you want a crown you can wait a year in between each step of the treatment. My average trip to the dentisT (for a check up) is around 60 pounds. A filling around 120 pounds and a crown about 500 pounds - a friend is having dentures fitting just now and he's up for about 3,000 pounds. You can only claim any of this if you have private medical insurance or if your total out of pocket expense is over 300 pounds - and only that portion over that amount!

If you're thinking of emigrating - keep this in mind.!

I have 2 ex navy mates who have stayed out in Oz and I speak regularly to them on skype. They explained the horrors of your system. At 62 my feet are firmly planted in UK and a return trip of 440 miles to my Dentist is just a road trip for you out there. Best regards from a "Land Up Under". Joss.

I dont know if any of the Forumers are aware that the new extension at the rear of the Cathedral has a brand new Dentist surgery donated by Swan Morton. I dont know just how it runs but I have been told its only open one day per week and it does have an emergency service. I should imagine its true purpose is for the Homeless,alcoholics and Tramps but they may treat ordinary folk too.

Archived