Anyone Come From Shirecliffe

They only knocked a few houses down because of the campaigning that my father and his team did to stop them demoloshing most of shirecliffe,and yes it does look ugly and stupid but at least some people (who didnt want to move) still have houses

I lived on Musgrave too, across from from Brian Wilson, his dog bit my daughter.. lol.. My house was demolished too, I had to move but im glad i did

To everyone who's replied to this thread & missed the post on 'General Discussion' page recently, Ellen Collier (ex-Shirecliffe School) has arranged a get together for pupils from the old school.

The meeting is at the Carbrook Hall pub, Attercliffe Road, on Saturday 21st Feb 2009.

A few of us have got together occasionally for about the last 18 months or so.

Those attending previously include Tony Ball, Colin Stagg, Dave Thomson, Kieth Corbet, Kieth Robinson, Albert Kershaw, Dereck Plant, Roger Starkes, John Hoing, Tony Damms, Maureen Jameson, Cathleen Chapman, Sue Dyson, Margaret Tew, even Clive Sanderson (the old english teacher). Appoligies to any one I've missed off the list.

If anyone recognises any of the above names & fancies a pint & a natter to put all the old myths to bed, come and have an hour with us.

• 1 month later...
[quote=nanrobbo;

I remember a neighbour's son coming out of the RAF and I took him to the tip to show him 'how to.

Goodness Nan, tha dint put that very well, trust a Shercliffe kid to pick up on that. :hihi::hihi:

Oooh you cheeky monkey, I've only just noticed your remark-:suspect: might just make a trip down Wollongong to sort ya:hihi:

I lived over the road from the five archers right up to around 1982, almost all my young life. It was a place far removed from today, we had the stores on Teynam shops with Quaills across the road, rays barbers, Parkins chippy and a betting shop, also the butchers,where, I believe Marti Cain used to work. I have fond memories of all of it, and the people where the making of the place.

I sometimes go to those same shops and I could cry, what a disaster, its like I would imagine a warzone to be like, and thats after the war, the pub is falling to bits the stores replaced by a jazzed up beer off, Quaills by a Chinese (I think) and God knows what else. All I can say is thank God I lived there when I did,'a sad reflection of our times'. But my parents still live there in the same house and although my time has all been spent in and around Hillsborough its always nice to go home.