Anyone Come From Shirecliffe

Yeah,,, for about a year I lived on burnell road opposite the dog track and I used to visit ma on musgrave and when it was dark I would head home over the tip down past the back end of what is now the dumpit site ,skirt along the back of the houses on penrith then down the narrow path to the white bridge.At this point it got very eerie as the graveyard was to your right and you could get to the black bridge by taking a righthand path past the graves.

Once over the white bridge the path was protected by iron railings on both sides.

Facing down the path if you looked left all you saw were the black heaps of power station residue silhouetted in the moonlight and looking to your right were all the resting places of the dead, their final homes marked by the overgrown stones that bear the names of the long forgotten.

The path zigzagged so you could not see the end and your nerves were seriously tested.

If hammer house of horrors ever needed a good location then this was it.

Once you got to the end you could follow the don to the bridge below the scrapyard and then you were back on the road and in 5 mins you were on penistone road feeling mighty cocky because you made it.

My daughter is 34yrs old and she can remember me carrying her on my shoulders through the path.

Happy days eh !!!

it was the most daunting place for us 8 year olds,we would push one another towards those railings and take it in turns to reach each corner...boy was it scary....sometimes we'd lose our bottle and take the safe option of penistone then herries road before scrounging a bottle of pop and bag of crisps off my nan in the arches....then at closing time a hot bag of chips with scraps and salt and vinegar.....very happy days

• 1 month later...

[quote=skippy;

Harry Brookes ? that lived on Penrith Rd, almost opposite Teynham drive or road, his club name was Harry Conroy, I met up with him again some years later when he worked with Dor's.

It's sad, but just heard that Harry passed away 3 weeks ago, he was a great boy suprano and a great singer and entertainer later on.

RIP Harry.

• 1 month later...
Just wondered if anyone remembers my dad's family.

They lived on Herries Road across from the Five Archers pub.

My grandparents were George and Gladys Reed, My dad Walt and his 2 brothers George and Alan Reed.

They all went to Shirecliffe School.

did you know the ingrams george and lillian

Hi Les, this is Terry , used to be landlord of Timbertop, myself and Josie are sad to here of the loss of Gordon, he was a good laugh,( though he could be a bit of an handful sometimes when he was over exubarant :hihi:) but he was a good lad really and will be missed by all, of course we know most of the people mentioned, and Jose remembers you from school, as she was off Teynham Drive, our condolances go out to you and family, as for Gud Ingram, we didn't know about him either, I didn't know he had The Ridge, (that was our first pub) the last we heard of him he had the pub at top of Norfolk Park,(can't for the life of me remember the name, it'll probably come to me when I least expect it :hihi:) remember Jose and myself to any you see, and once again our thoughts are with you. :thumbsup:

the pub at norfolk park was captive queen dont think he had owned it i think someone called mick and gloria had it and he worked for them he died age 34

did you know the ingrams george and lillian

Hi

Yes i remember my grandma and my dad mentioning the Ingrams.

They lived nextdoor but one to my dad's family i think, sharing the path with Mrs Howe.

Was'nt George on the commitee at the Southey Club at some point?

I also remember Mr and Mrs Shepard, they bred budgies, my Dad bought me one when i was about 10......happy days :)

Hi

Yes i remember my grandma and my dad mentioning the Ingrams.

They lived nextdoor but one to my dad's family i think, sharing the path with Mrs Howe.

Was'nt George on the commitee at the Southey Club at some point?

I also remember Mr and Mrs Shepard, they bred budgies, my Dad bought me one when i was about 10......happy days :)

it was jack ingram who was on the commitee at southey club and that was my dad my aunt lillian who lived on herries road got killed on the crossing near the arches

the pub at norfolk park was captive queen dont think he had owned it i think someone called mick and gloria had it and he worked for them he died age 34

Hi jewls29, if I'm not mistaken the Mick Georgie worked for was Mick Cunningham, both good friends of mine, but Jud did go on to be landlord of Captive Queen, he did not own it, he was a manager, he had the same area manager as I did when I was in the trade, I remember he had a lot of trouble with drug users while he was there.