Anyone Come From Shirecliffe

I don,t think you will remember me Tony as i was in the year below you,but for some reason i played for the year above as well as my year.The last time i saw you i was on a bus going to the match and you were giving me stick for being a blade,and you didn,t remember me then(i was still at school ),butyou had probaly been left Shirecliff a few years then.

Do you remember playing in a 7 a side competition and the team photo was in the Green un ?

See if you can guess who has that photo in front of him as he writes

I am just trying to grab it back while the rest of the family are all laughing hystericly.

I can name them bar one, and its killing me ,He,s small jet black hair i remember him being a good player and seem to think his name is Glyn or Glen but cannot for the life of me remember his name.

Top Left IAN BOOT, TONY CRONSHAW.RAYMOND CARLTON,JOHN GALLIGER,

Bottom myself,STEVE CANTER,GLEN,WESLEY HEYWOOD.

Any way iam going to scan it into the computer and see if i can figure out how to put it on the website, or email it to you ,it will crack you up mate,

his name was glenn fearn...and a blade....and yes he was a good footballer...this is now doing my head in because i cannot remember you...i am working on this new book called kid of steel about my childhood and would love a copy of that photo....

this will be my third book...not bad for a kid from shirecliffe.....loved those days....did you live locally.....and if you fancy a beer and a chat get in touch..

his name was glenn fearn...and a blade....and yes he was a good footballer...this is now doing my head in because i cannot remember you...i am working on this new book called kid of steel about my childhood and would love a copy of that photo....

this will be my third book...not bad for a kid from shirecliffe.....loved those days....did you live locally.....and if you fancy a beer and a chat get in touch..

Hi eastbank

Yes Glen Fearn,

You wrote two books .and a third on its way? that,s tops that mate.

I was born on Donavon road ,then moved onto herries road 100m up from the Five Archers,but later moved to Foxhill and still went to school at shirecliff.I was in the year below you at school so didn,t see you in the senier school,

You mentioned Cob in an earlier thread, i saw him a few years after we left he was recovering from a broken neck.

My old pal Ian Boot moved to Foxhill about the same ,my sister saw his brother a couple of years ago i was stunned to find Ian was no longer with us.

I still seem to come across Steve Canter from time to time.

Anyway i have finaly scanned the photo onto the computer(the scanner just didn.t want to play for whatever reason)

Not sure how to put it on the website ,but i,ve just realised your email add is on the site(marks out of 10 for observation skills 2)

I have a couple more photos in the senier school team but you must have left then,but you will know all the lads.I came across the old photos in my parents loft whil i was working on their kitchen lights.

plees egscews minur speling mistakes,let me know if you get the photo,

cheers

Hi eastbank

Yes Glen Fearn,

You wrote two books .and a third on its way? that,s tops that mate.

I was born on Donavon road ,then moved onto herries road 100m up from the Five Archers,but later moved to Foxhill and still went to school at shirecliff.I was in the year below you at school so didn,t see you in the senier school,

You mentioned Cob in an earlier thread, i saw him a few years after we left he was recovering from a broken neck.

My old pal Ian Boot moved to Foxhill about the same ,my sister saw his brother a couple of years ago i was stunned to find Ian was no longer with us.

I still seem to come across Steve Canter from time to time.

Anyway i have finaly scanned the photo onto the computer(the scanner just didn.t want to play for whatever reason)

Not sure how to put it on the website ,but i,ve just realised your email add is on the site(marks out of 10 for observation skills 2)

I have a couple more photos in the senier school team but you must have left then,but you will know all the lads.I came across the old photos in my parents loft whil i was working on their kitchen lights.

plees egscews minur speling mistakes,let me know if you get the photo,

cheers

was your surname bingley...the good looking kid on the front row...i was missing from that other photo..with vic spencer it must have been the time i had broken my arm....

only had one year in the seniors before i moved to birley....in my first year we won the radley cup...and ron reid was our teacher...think he moved to herries...used to run the academy at the lane...me and wes used to parade around the lane selling stuff off those trays...we made a right killing..

thanks for the photo...

wes is now a paramedic,john g runs the queens at mosborough and the last time i saw cob he was security at nottingham races...

i also do a did of the old extra work..and can be seen this january playing ronnie the betting shop minder in a sit com called white van man with will mellor...also been in the film cass and four lions...and married single other on itv....anyway if you fancy a beer i think wes and john still go down town now and again....

• 5 months later...

Hi there. Does anyone remember the very big house on Shirecliffe Road(I think) which had some modern houses built in their front garden. When I was young it appeared to be a mansion. I think there were three of them. The last time I went up to look it had massive electrically operated gates on. I had a relative renting this property in the 1950's and swear it was haunted.

Lived on the east side of Herries Road, Barrie Crescent. We called ourselves Southey Green. Went to Shirecliffe schools 1953-1965. Spent many happy hours in Five Arches and Timbertop. Emigrated to Walkley 82.

Hi there. Does anyone remember the very big house on Shirecliffe Road(I think) which had some modern houses built in their front garden. When I was young it appeared to be a mansion. I think there were three of them. The last time I went up to look it had massive electrically operated gates on. I had a relative renting this property in the 1950's and swear it was haunted.

The Wroblewski's used to live in one of the big houses there, i used to play with the kids when younger in the mid sixties, was a massive house with large cellars, quite spooky.

It would have been round about 1958 when I used to visit, and I have no doubt at all that it was haunted. There were three cellars running in a line and at the end were three stone steps which had been sealed off. This seemed to end in one of the sitting rooms, and this room was very strange in that each morning when Margaret got up the sofa had been moved from the wall and the fingers were off the clock. Two couples shared the house and although there were two children, baby cries were heard coming from the same room when the children had been taken out. The family's three boxer dogs would never enter this same room. There was a banquet hall and a front room with a grand piano and still loads of room. Wonder if the people living there now have experienced anything strange.

has anyone got any photos of the shirecliffe area, the nursery school buildings those that were painted white, garages on longley avenue west, school photos 1955-1966....nearly completed a book about my time living on the shirecliffe....thanks

Hi Charlotte, I lived on Morgan Road from 1941 to about 1950. I attended Shirecliffe School juniors/seniors until 1950. Loved the area and have many happy memories.

Teachers I remember- Miss Cox Juniors head, Mr Winnerah, Mr Ross, Miss Collins PT Mr Siddall was seniors Head I think -can't think of more at the moment. Regards

My dad lived on Morgan Avenue, went to Shirecliffe too he was born 1940. Michael Byrne.