Anyone Come From Shirecliffe

Hi Suesher, the Makey's moved in next door to us after the Kelly gang moved away, I visited the old neighbourhood in 92 and didn't think much to it, Peter M and his family had moved into his grandparents house at that time.

I've seen the area on Google maps, it's no longer the place I remember, do you remember Christine, Diane, and ? Mills, they lived with their grandparents about 7 houses from you, other names I recall are the Mulcrones, Siddalls, Fletcher.

Yes Vivian, she often wore hooded tops before they became fashionable, how is she and Sam?

hello uncle sam passed away a couple of years ago

but vi is ok i still see diane mills nearly every day as she comes in my place of work.i also see alan siddall he still lives with his mom whos totally blind but they moved down longley where the playground used to be.

christine mills has been very ill but shes getting there !

hello uncle sam passed away a couple of years ago

but vi is ok i still see diane mills nearly every day as she comes in my place of work.i also see alan siddall he still lives with his mom whos totally blind but they moved down longley where the playground used to be.

christine mills has been very ill but shes getting there !

i can remember a lady who lived next door to makeys but i cant remember her name but i know she remarried and her husbands name was jim was she any relation to you?

i can remember a lady who lived next door to makeys but i cant remember her name but i know she remarried and her husbands name was jim was she any relation to you?

My mother Mary Powell married Jim Noble who used to drink in the Dev, but she had moved to the Longley Farm estate at that time.

My name is Trevor P, so give my regards to Vi and Dianne when you see them, my wife came from near where Christine Mills boyfriend [Geoff] lived and they used to catch the same bus to come up to Shirecliffe.

I last saw Christine when they had a shop around the Upwell St area, glad to hear she's on the mend.

I think I now who you mean I lived at 570 with my grandparents for a while when my dad was in the navy, then we moved further down the road to 612. The neighbours where, on the left Mrs Reed, (who we called Reedy), a lovely woman. I think She had a son who died in a car crash before my time, her husband was called Walt I think, he died when I was still young. Reedy had a relative who lived in the flats across the road from us called Mrs Middleton.

Next to her was a couple called Howe, dont remember much about them only that he was called Sam, on the other side was a woman called Mrs Robinson and at the side of her a couple called Robberts, a big feller if I remember rightly.

Herries Road, (the Southey side) was considered Parson Cross. (Late 50's through 60's)

Near junction of Galsworthy Road - - Mr & Mrs Dawes, with sons Derek and (Terry ??)

596 Herries Road - Mrs Lucas

594 The Walkers - Daughter Christine went to Shirecliffe same time as me.

592 Don't remember who lived here.

590 Albert, Jean, Susan and Sharon Leeks

588 The Bucieris

586 Mrs Hawksworth

584 The Coltons. Later, a Somalian called Derek. Possibly first black man on PX. ??

582 Ada, Lewis, Norma, Alan and Graham Shepherd

586 Harry Bailey. Later, the Faulkners. Mick and Pauline, kids Mark, David and Jennifer.

578 George, Lilian, Barbara, Les, Jud, and Derek Ingram

576 Ron and Mrs, Ron Jnr, Tony, Susan and Gordon Burgin ..... and another daughter ..?

574 Sam and Mrs, Billy and Mick Howe.

572 Mrs Reed and son Alan (mentioned earlier killed in stolen car aged 14)

570 The Extalls - Can't remember sons name(s)

568 Mrs Robinson and sons, one named Keith.

566 The Roberts - I only remember one name, Derek

Nearer to Longley, (before Barrie Road/Crescent) but not sure which number :-

I think there was family called Whitehead on this stretch as well?

558 ? The Whites. Son Tony

556 ? The Weatherstones. Daughter Julie

Over the road in the posh private houses, The Gorings, and the Bingleys

Ron Burgin Jnr died in his late 20's as I remember.

Jud Ingram died aged 32, not 34 as said earlier.

Edited by Earwiggo

My mother Mary Powell married Jim Noble who used to drink in the Dev, but she had moved to the Longley Farm estate at that time.

My name is Trevor P, so give my regards to Vi and Dianne when you see them, my wife came from near where Christine Mills boyfriend [Geoff] lived and they used to catch the same bus to come up to Shirecliffe.

I last saw Christine when they had a shop around the Upwell St area, glad to hear she's on the mend.

what a coincidence ! your mum and jim came to our wedding reception in the dev and jim wrote us a poem about married life ! which i still have and weve been married 30 year!

i will pass your hello on to diane when i see her next

what a coincidence ! your mum and jim came to our wedding reception in the dev and jim wrote us a poem about married life ! which i still have and weve been married 30 year!

i will pass your hello on to diane when i see her next

This was them when they visited us in about 1979.

00010001.jpg

This is where we lived from 58 to when my mother moved to the Kelvin around 1971, I took this pic when I visited the UK in 92, she married Jim whilst at the Kelvin, then they moved to the Longley Farm Estate, my brother put me right about that today.

00010002.jpg

Edited by skippy

• 2 months later...
The Wroblewski's used to live in one of the big houses there, i used to play with the kids when younger in the mid sixties, was a massive house with large cellars, quite spooky.

I went to secondary school and became very friendly with one of the Wroblewski's, Jan. I also knew his brother (K)? Carl. Jan's dad used to repair Renaults at the back of the house. I went to the house many times.Jan married a lady called Jean, they ran a pub in Fowey for a while, had a daughter Amy, then emigrated to Australia.

I think the whole family went to Australia including the parents. I have since lost touch with Jan but would appreciate any further info. Thanks

I lived at 545 Herries Road 1964-72. We went to Quayles shop and used up our old pennies in the bubbly machine when decimal currency came in. I remember Tesco being built. At Shirecliffe School I remember Miss Tingle?, Miss Bee and Mrs Vernon. I had a friend called Julie Storey who lived on Penrith, Sharon Hill and Jacqueline Radford on Barrie Crescent. Next door to us was a strange doctor called Dr Weir.