Anyone Come From Shirecliffe

Hi all. Does anyone remember the gun site (ack ack Ibelieve) that was off to one side of the top of the hill that the 63 bus used to go up (Rutland Road I think). There wer some old army huts there where we used to live (squat actually) from about 1946 (I was three then) until we moved to Walkley in about 1950. There must have been about 50 huts and they were all occupied. Names I recall were us Walker of course), Fazakerley, Frith and Taylor. I can remember going to Firs Hill Infants. We had to walk across a big fiels with allotments and what seemed then like a huge piggery. Probably the one mentioned in a few posts in this thread. I also remember the tip where we used to find all kind of 'interesting' things.

Rod

My dear late Aunty Hilda was a spotter at the anti aircraft battery at the top of Cookswood Road. She reconed the Germans were after the gasworks at the bottom of Neepsend, and the forges at Daniel Doncasters on Penistone Road. She would have been about 20 at the time of the Sheffield blitz. Died at a good age 80 bless her.

East side of Herries Road was always counted as Parson Cross or Southey Green. I lived on Barrie Crescent (East side), and went to Shirecliffe schools Nursery, Infants , Junior and Secondary from 53-65. Still remember my neighbours. 45 Warners, 47 Surplice, 49 Gardeners, 51 us, 53 Wood, 55 Knight. Happy if poor times.

• 2 weeks later...

working on this book kid of steel....

i lived on the shirecliffe from 1955 until 1968....

i only had one year at the secondary school...67/68....

what was the place like...

the teachers...

i played for the football team....

school mates included wes haywood john gallagher chris bartholomew...

help would be appreciated...

sorry to hear about fred thompson,we were in the same classes at longley and shirecliffe schools.also sad to read about the recent death of winston bartholamew who went to shirecliffe as well,r.i.p.

winston was a bully and his younger brother, well enough said. Unable to tell it as it is, i would again be banned for 24 hours.

Hi all. Does anyone remember the gun site (ack ack Ibelieve) that was off to one side of the top of the hill that the 63 bus used to go up (Rutland Road I think). There wer some old army huts there where we used to live (squat actually) from about 1946 (I was three then) until we moved to Walkley in about 1950. There must have been about 50 huts and they were all occupied. Names I recall were us Walker of course), Fazakerley, Frith and Taylor. I can remember going to Firs Hill Infants. We had to walk across a big fiels with allotments and what seemed then like a huge piggery. Probably the one mentioned in a few posts in this thread. I also remember the tip where we used to find all kind of 'interesting' things.

Rod

Hi Rodwalker. My Dad used to tell us tales of manning the guns on Shirecliffe during the war . He was too young to have been called up then so I'm guessing that it would have been part of the home guard service and I'm sure I remember him saying that there were also barrage balloons there too.