Anyone Come From Shirecliffe

I remember most of the shops on Longley Ave West. The bottom shop used to be called Meadows, next shop up was originally a Chemist then became a sweet shop. next was Hammonds greengrocers - hence the Mabel you speak of.

In the 50's there was just spare land above Hammonds, where the beer off was built. Above that was the chippy - I used to call on the way home at about 11ish & buy a couple of Fishcakes for the price of one - six pence I think.

Then there was Quales I think the name was - Newsagents. Then the butchers & finally I think it was the Co-Op.

Good days & a good area to be brought up

I remember most of the shops on Longley Ave West. The bottom shop used to be called Meadows, next shop up was originally a Chemist then became a sweet shop. next was Hammonds greengrocers - hence the Mabel you speak of.

In the 50's there was just spare land above Hammonds, where the beer off was built. Above that was the chippy - I used to call on the way home at about 11ish & buy a couple of Fishcakes for the price of one - six pence I think.

Then there was Quales I think the name was - Newsagents. Then the butchers & finally I think it was the Co-Op.

very good area to be brought up. my sisters used to push me in my pram to those shops get their sweets and forget to take me home, boming it back up the hill once they realised i wasnt there:hihi:

The shops were ,Meadow Daries,Maxfield Chemist,Mabel and Charlie Hammond Greengrocers,Fearns chippy,Tugbys or Quayles it was the same family,Co-op Butchers,Co-op Grocers.Charlie Hammond also did a Greengrocery round with his lorry.

• 1 month later...

longley boys football team 1958/1959/1960 david gledhall, fred thompson ,norman rodgers ,chris bumford ,dave stewart , billy walker , ken dickenson ,mick nisdale ,terry flecther , mick eddison,vincent linnley. hope the spellings are ok: if anybody remembers different please reply thanks, most of the above names allso played for shireclife school football team, and rugby team, rugby team won luther milner sheild 1955, and football team runners up sheffield wednesday sheild 1955.

dont know if this would interest anyone who still lives on Shirecliffe - there is a meeting athe to community centre Friday 3rd February at 4.45pm it is a public meeting (but no one seems to know about it). David Blunkett will be there and so wil Viridor

• 3 months later...
Hi all. Does anyone remember the gun site (ack ack Ibelieve) that was off to one side of the top of the hill that the 63 bus used to go up (Rutland Road I think). There wer some old army huts there where we used to live (squat actually) from about 1946 (I was three then) until we moved to Walkley in about 1950. There must have been about 50 huts and they were all occupied. Names I recall were us Walker of course), Fazakerley, Frith and Taylor. I can remember going to Firs Hill Infants. We had to walk across a big fiels with allotments and what seemed then like a huge piggery. Probably the one mentioned in a few posts in this thread. I also remember the tip where we used to find all kind of 'interesting' things.

Rod

Hi there Rod, i also used to live (squat) on the gunsite, my family name was Hammond and we lived at number 8a, although i recognise some of the other family names i don't seem to recall yours. The main family names i recall is Howell - Scottish Lady. I also went to Firs Hill nursery and infants school from 1946 aged 3 and left in 1952ish. Do you or anyone remember the old lady, who always had a jar of sweets - was her name Polly Peat?

I Have Lived On Shirecliffe All My Life Does Anyone Else Come From The Area ?

Hi Charlotte

I was born on Musgrave Drive Shirecliffe in 1943, lived there until I migrated in '65. I went to the Herries Road school, and we used to swing on the steel school gates. Unfortunately for me, when I was about 10, I had my hand in the wrong part of the gate, when it shut, my finger was trapped. With my finger hanging off, I ran across the road to the nearest shop to telephone for an ambulance. Naturally, I picked the butchers shop, (anyone remember Ossie, the butcher?) who rang for an ambulance. I didn't do his trade any good he used to remind me! Recently, I came back to Sheffield and had a reunion with some school friends who I hadn't seen for about 52 years. When one of them asked how they would recognise me, one of them said "just wave to any old bloke, if he waves back and you notice a finger missing, that's him!

Regards Millsie

I was born on Musgrave Drive Shirecliffe in 1943, lived there until I migrated in '65.

Same age as myself, so you must have been in the same year as me if you went to Shirecliffe school cobber.