Anyone Come From Shirecliffe

I got sent here for not returning my library book Millsie, but I can travel back on my Ozzie passport now, ha ha.

I remember 3 kids from Musgrave or Crumpsall getting sent to borstal for climbing through an open window at the coop at night and stealing fags, I think it was on the third time that they got caught, but can't remember who they were now.

I remember the chews or Tews, there were 3 boys and a girl, George, Allen, John and ?, Graham ? lived 2 doors away from the Tews, but on Shirecliffe Rd, I was his best man when he got married, there was also a Stuart Maycock that lived around that area too.

Wasn't me, probably the buller gang, he did Shaws you know.

Yep, Southey Green Library were a tough nut to to crack. You had to keep to that return-by date stamp, when you borrowed Just William books, there was a waiting list. By the way, did you run into a Tom Prior (a Geordie) when you were at Mt. Penang?

Its like listening to Norman Evans over the garden wall with you two HaHa.It sounds like you are near neighbours.No the Buller gang were too smart to get caught and we saw Emergency999 6 times at the Forum without getting caught,we used to get in through the bog window,we had to be careful cos Neville Roe's dad was commisionaire and he was a big bloke.I saw Nev at Shirecliffe open day a month ago and reminded him of his dad.There are a lot of times I wish we had been caught and sent to Oz cos we are sick of bloody Rolf Harris being here.

Millsie and I are are almost neighbours Buller, he lives 90 minutes north of Sydney, and we live 90 minutes south, so we are very close by aussie standards, I used to drive where he lives several times a week over a fourteen year period in my last job.

Most of the people in the job I was in were mostly from Britain Millsie, but I can't remember any of the names of the people I met nowadays, apart from our local centre, as I met so many, so unless he worked in the administration office where they booked the prisoners in, I wouldn't have met him.

Fancy making the 7 ponds into a suburb, it was a great place to go and drop a line and relax during the long summer evenings, and the Longley pool, which is now history also, was a great place to meet new friends etc, I'll leave the etc to your imagination.

My brother Alan used to go to various places fishing,and often brought fish home (alive) and put them in the ponds so that he could catch them again when he fished the 7 ponds. Don't suppose any of you guys know anyone in the Hallamshire Harriers? My dad used to run with them in the 20's & 30's and I 'm trying to look up some old photos or archival stuff of him.

Millsie and I are are almost neighbours Buller, he lives 90 minutes north of Sydney, and we live 90 minutes south, so we are very close by aussie standards, I used to drive where he lives several times a week over a fourteen year period in my last job.

Most of the people in the job I was in were mostly from Britain Millsie, but I can't remember any of the names of the people I met nowadays, apart from our local centre, as I met so many, so unless he worked in the administration office where they booked the prisoners in, I wouldn't have met him.

Fancy making the 7 ponds into a suburb, it was a great place to go and drop a line and relax during the long summer evenings, and the Longley pool, which is now history also, was a great place to meet new friends etc, I'll leave the etc to your imagination.

Yes, the Holbrooks lived at no. 2, the dad was a bus driver, Tony & Shirley were quite a bit older than me though. They were related to the Edisons & the Gregory's.

Do you know a Tony Holland, he used to live in those old houses on Herries Road / Moonshine Lane corner? We went to Longley school together. In our late teens, we used to meet twice a year as I played soccer for Dormer Tools & he played for Spear & Jacksons or Firth Browns. I remember in no. 10 on the Drive, the mid-wife. She had family in Leeds, I used to play with her nephew when they came over, and I went to stay with them in Leeds. Big adventure when I was 10. I don't suppose the WM Clubs still run the annual sea-side trips do they, I used to go on 2 or 3 trips a year, neighbours used to get spare tickets for us. Probably glad to get me off the Drive for a day!

Some of the neighbours used to work at Bassetts, and again we got some Freebies. Many years later, when I used to work in Sydney in Engineering, we used to make confectionery machinery for Bassetts. Always hoped that they would send me over there to help set them up, but never did. Couldn't afford to come to UK very often in those days, it was very expensive and flat out feeding a family. See ya.