Anyone Come From Shirecliffe

I think Tony has been dead a few years now.I vaguely remember Tony Holland there was also Desmond Housley who lived at the end one on Moonshine Lane.I think a couple of the clubs do trips but noway like they used too.I always went with Southey but my mother and aunt were stewardess''so I was always frantic trying to change my ticket to another coach,every time we have a run to Cleethorpes it brings back the good old memorys.When I had my garage business in Hillsbro I did work for a lot of people from Bassetts and they always brought us big boxes of seconds we had that many I could have opened a shop.cheers for now.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey up millsie, how did you go with your step back in time holiday to the old area ?

It's nearly a year since the last post, have you all been hibernating ?

Edited by skippy

Hi Skippy,sorry, not been using the forum for a while. Had a great time back in the UK, as usual, but had the worst weather I have had in the last ten trips back there.

Don't tell bullerboy, he'll die laughing after my umbrella cracks!

I had 5 weeks there, spent 3 days based on a barge at Victoria Docks in Sheffield. Thoroughly recommend a stay on the barges for a few days. Had my grandkids with me so made visiting very difficult as the rain never stopped! Went back to London, again rain for the Jubilee celebrations but managed to see the Poms beat the Aussies at Lords.

Went back up to Derbyshire again for a week, staying at Rowsley, and from here did a couple of concerts, bike riding, walking and visiting relatives around Sheffield. Unfortunately, all the family getting old now, so I didn't drive them around as much as I usually do.

Didn't get a chance to meet up with bullerboy though, my stays in Sheffield were very brief and busy in between downpours of rain.

Wife has gone of to Seychelles again and I thought that I might get over again this year, but had a knee replacement 5 weeks ago, ouch, and there is no way I'd fly for at least 4 months even in first class if I could afford it, which I can't!

So, I will just be pottering around 'til I can start driving again in a weeks time.

Give my regards to BB when you contact him again, I promise to keep in touch.

Regards millsie

Hi Skippy,sorry, not been using the forum for a while. Had a great time back in the UK, as usual, but had the worst weather I have had in the last ten trips back there.

Don't tell bullerboy, he'll die laughing after my umbrella cracks!

I had 5 weeks there, spent 3 days based on a barge at Victoria Docks in Sheffield. Thoroughly recommend a stay on the barges for a few days. Had my grandkids with me so made visiting very difficult as the rain never stopped! Went back to London, again rain for the Jubilee celebrations but managed to see the Poms beat the Aussies at Lords.

Went back up to Derbyshire again for a week, staying at Rowsley, and from here did a couple of concerts, bike riding, walking and visiting relatives around Sheffield. Unfortunately, all the family getting old now, so I didn't drive them around as much as I usually do.

Didn't get a chance to meet up with bullerboy though, my stays in Sheffield were very brief and busy in between downpours of rain.

Wife has gone of to Seychelles again and I thought that I might get over again this year, but had a knee replacement 5 weeks ago, ouch, and there is no way I'd fly for at least 4 months even in first class if I could afford it, which I can't!

So, I will just be pottering around 'til I can start driving again in a weeks time.

Give my regards to BB when you contact him again, I promise to keep in touch.

Regards millsie

hahahahahahahahah!Sorry we didnt meet up but at least you had a good holiday,maybe next time.sorry about your knee problem you can blame the sheffield hills for that.we are ok here but the rust is setting in now and we are growing older waiting for the sunshine.Anyhow take care,BB.

Hi bullerboy, we don't go rusty here in NSW, we get covered in a green moss with lichen growing on are heads. No kidding, since I came back here, the heat has been very high with big rainfalls. I swear that this area is greener than UK at the moment. Still a sunny 26C today, and winter starts in 6 weeks, been too long the summer this year so I really didn't mind the cool English summer.

Actually, the knee was a legacy of a couple of guys landing on my knee during a soccer tackle when I was 14, cartilage was stuffed and never came right so I'm lucky for it to have lasted so long.

I always wanted one last walk around the peak district and I managed one in the summer if 2011, wouldn't have dared if my son wasn't with me, so the big walks are just memories now, just a few Km now.

You said that we are all getting old now, still in touch with my old class mates at the City Grammar, we are all hitting 70 between July 2012 & July 2013.

I think that you knew my brother Alan, a bit wild when he was younger. He went to Shirecliffe school. He passed away 2 weeks ago so I am happy that I managed to spend some time with him. He was 73.

Well, first day as a bachelor for 3 months, better get my dinner ready.

See ya

Millsie

Edited by millsie

Hi Millsie, sorry to hear about your brother, I was in the same boat losing my mother and sister after my last trip.

That barge thing sounds like the kind of thing we would be looking for if and when we made a trip back, as I don't want to be tied down to a family member, and it's central to everything too, so I will be looking into that, we too would like to get out into Debyshire again and go and catch up with members of our families and old friends, but I doubt I could walk far on the moors etc because of my back, and sitting on a plane for that length of time is putting me off at the moment.

Hi Millsie,yes i saw Alans death in the Star didnt he marry Ann Trotter cos she died about 4 yrs ago.I hope our summer is going to be hot because its been a long winter here and everyone is fed up of the cold now.Im 71 now and a lot of em are dropping of the perch now but i still keep in touch with one or two survivors ehehe. keep safe,BB.

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 13:25 ----------

come on you two your men of steel from the Steel city.

Hi Skippy, you'll be OK, just make sure you are with someone if you are going a long way. The barges are nothing fancy, but clean & central. Thru booking.com I managed to get a 4 berth for about 70 pounds a night. Plus, a lovely B&B at Rowsley (about 5 minutes drive from Chatsworth House & 30 min (approx) lovely drive to most places in Sheffield. Owned by Mr & Mrs Straw, they charge about 25 pounds per head including a great breakfast.

Great deals especially with the A$ so high, will get the details if you are interested. My motto is, if you are feeling OK & can afford it, do it mate. No regrets later on mate, and great memories. You could be dead tomorrow, or even worst, get rusty like bullerboy. Truly, Derbyshire is still a marvellous place, great scenery, bike riding, walking, pubs, eateries and lovely people.

Do it Skippy, nice to see bb too, eh?

Regards Millsie

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 22:50 ----------

Hi Millsie,yes i saw Alans death in the Star didnt he marry Ann Trotter cos she died about 4 yrs ago.I hope our summer is going to be hot because its been a long winter here and everyone is fed up of the cold now.Im 71 now and a lot of em are dropping of the perch now but i still keep in touch with one or two survivors ehehe. keep safe,BB.

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 13:25 ----------

come on you two your men of steel from the Steel city.

Yes bullerboy, he was married to her for a few years before getting a divorce. Didn't know that she had died. Alan married again and lived at Bents Green for about the last 40 years with present wife.

Sad to see everyone passing on, as I said before, I appreciate getting back quite often recently and having the opportunity spending time with all the family & friends. Stay alive!