Anyone Come From Shirecliffe

Hi My best mate lived on Boyton a few years back she also went to herries school. Beverley Quinn think she was also known as Bev Murdock.

Bev and I were very good friends she died around six yrs ago miss her so much.

She also went in to the dev pub anyone know her. Misty

Thank you - brilliant! Today's kids will love to hear about your freedom. Their childhoods are very different but not all change is progress!

My memories of the tip are rather different, I used to go there, with a sack or bucket to pick coke often in the depths of winter and woe betide me if I got clinkers. The coke was usually still very hot from the ovens but we picked because it kept the homefires burning and because coal was so short. I remember a neighbour's son coming out of the RAF and I took him to the tip to show him 'how to', I was about 10/11 and of course fell in love with him as foolish young girls do, but alas he was already 'attached':(

Many thanks, Flyin' Nan, for your different slant on The Meadow/The Tip.

I'm still collecting memories of Shirecliffe places for the community's children today.

Please share more of yours if you have the time.

AnnH

Hello all, I lived at 71 Longley Avenue west corner of the Keyhole with Boynton road with my Granparents (Cottingham)family all through to being 28.

I have many fond memories of all the kids who used to play in the keyhole.

the Hammonds I still keep in touch with Steve, Maxine lacey, Julie walker,Mick Smedley,Lee Marshall,Darryl(Faz)Holland, the Carnells,Andrew Norcliffe who lived with his Auntie Mary. the kids used to come from all over to play until really late at night must have annoyed all the oldtimers immensely.

Woe betide if the football went into Jud Walkers or Mr and Mrs Merrills

pristine Gardens.

The summer days were so long playing on the tip gone all day grass sledging on peices of cardboard that were strewn around in abundance.

After tea you would wait for Yankee Boy to come for an icecream, remember the Specials small cornet with a little ice lolly sat on the top. the Icescream mans name was Don but cant recall his wifes name.

What about the games British Bulldog,tiggy gaslamp, kickcan, tiggy off'nt ground,farmers wife and my favourite hide n seek using the top gaslamp as base. I do recall the bonfires the we had on the Bloominstocks back garden we used to put corregated sheets of asbestos on the fire to watch it explode into shrapnel peices that would fly everywhere it is a wonder someone was never killed.

Were you one of them kids who spent the best years of your lives in the Keyhole. regards to all John.

i remember playing on the tip and the bonfire was the biggest ever,i am now 53 and lived in musgrave road between 55 and 68 spending a good twelve years on the shurcliffe...has it was fondly known...taking empties back from arches to dev and dev to arches.....penny for guy outside magnet...until southey chased us back down galsworthy......whitsun showing off your new clobber.....lads i went to school with included chris bartholamew,wes heywood and john gallagher.....happy days

Wes Haywood used to live across the road from me. His Dad was a small but stocky chap with Gingerish hair, everyone called him Bunny Haywood but I never found out why.

Also on the Shurcliffe can anyone recall when "Peters and Lee" the duo who won oppotunity knocks came to visit her Mother on Penrith Rd in the early mid 70s it was a real mob of kids trampling Gardens etc what fun we had.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote=nanrobbo;

I remember a neighbour's son coming out of the RAF and I took him to the tip to show him 'how to.

Goodness Nan, tha dint put that very well, trust a Shercliffe kid to pick up on that. :hihi::hihi: