Becketts Fish & Chip Shop - Manor Top

piker

The indian takeaway rasheeds (manor top) was also a becketts chip shop.

Must have been before my time then...it was called Blue Sea, and owned by a greek bloke whos brohter had a chippy in Matlock when I was a kid

Must have been before my time then...it was called Blue Sea, and owned by a greek bloke whos brohter had a chippy in Matlock when I was a kid

I think the becketts sold off that chippy because it wasn't doing the business like the one across the road & thats when the greeks bought it mid to late 80's if my mind serves me correctly

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a chip shop next to Tesco on Herries Road and I believe the same person ownes both shops.

You are correct...,

But, it's the Manor fish bar that owns them, not the old Becketts that Piker is on about...

I loved old Becketts.. Proper chips they were.. You used to open up the paper, and they were just a lump of chips all stuck together..

Mmmmmm:)

You are correct...,

But, it's the Manor fish bar that owns them, not the old Becketts that Piker is on about...

I loved old Becketts.. Proper chips they were.. You used to open up the paper, and they were just a lump of chips all stuck together..

Mmmmmm:)

Thank you, and just to say that when I was diving a white van I used to adjust my route so I would be near Becket's at dinner time, especially so I could call in, but when it changed hands I went a few times and then stopped going. It's not been the same since.

We used to have Becketts chips saturday afternoons after mum and dad had been shopping in the 70;s They used to call to Fishwicks (was next door to the cinema at Intake) and then we used to have chips and fishcake and a cuppa..lovely. Fishwicks used to sell Fishballs quite a novelty then :)

still go to becketts chippy on manor top (now known as manor top fish bar). they still cook them the same way as before

I disagree - they don't taste the same as they did when it was called Becketts!

I cam back to Sheffield last month and tried some - not the same at all :(

• 2 weeks later...

I now live 50 yards from the chip shop in question, and would not even cross the road to eat them, the smell is really bad, i well remember seeing people waiting in line a 100 yards long out side the shop (on a Saturday morning) when it was Becketts, they were that good. Tip of the day, never buy from a chippy that has not got a queue...

• 2 weeks later...

My mum used to work in the shop next door but one to becketts(hardware & fancy goods), used to go and get us chips and cake for dinner and stay at work with her instead of going back to school. it was great chippy, really greasy Mmmm

Archived