Becketts Fish & Chip Shop - Manor Top

piker

Ahhh, Becketts..... hardened the arteries of a generation they did :hihi:

We used to run to the Manor Top from Hurlfield School at lunch time to go and get a chip-butty with scraps for the princely sum of 25p. Then we would either sit outside what is now Somerfields (I think!) and savour every mouthful or.... we'd go and wag it in Lyndixs' mums shop - well, me and her big sister did anyway! :hihi:

Ahhh, Becketts..... hardened the arteries of a generation they did :hihi:

We used to run to the Manor Top from Hurlfield School at lunch time to go and get a chip-butty with scraps for the princely sum of 25p. Then we would either sit outside what is now Somerfields (I think!) and savour every mouthful or.... we'd go and wag it in Lyndixs' mums shop - well, me and her big sister did anyway! :hihi:

Them were the days mate!

I think we all seeked refuge with my mam, everyone loved her up there!!

• 2 weeks later...
Beckett's fish and chips were the best in Sheffield; it's making my mouth water to think of them. Not sure what healthy eating fanatics would think about the dripping, though - but you can't make proper fish and chips without it.[/quote

becketts were good id saythey were the forth best in sheffield

baracuda marys duke street

tonys whicker

mrytle road crinckle cut chips

i live in glasgow and when i come home i like good chips but manor top last summer not good. Never cod in amillion years.

beckets chippy was owned by two brothers from coalville they also owned hansworth fish bar swollownest herries rd and 3 in doncaster they retired and sold them to jamie handsworth chippy frys in beef dripping not bad chips i was fryer there for 2 years

heart attack apprrox40/60years of age! Laugh now!

Anyone remember Adam's fish & chips on broad st? My aunt's f & c shop. She operated it in the 40s, 50s, through to the early to mid 60s. I'm admittedly biased but I think they were the best fish & chips anywhere. Every Friday during the summer my brother & I would have our mid day meal (still called the "dinner?") in our aunt's back kitchen, followed by ice cream from the nearby Granelli's store with canned fruit. What a feast. Over here everyone seems to think that good f & c have to be dripping in grease. They shouldn't of course. Nice & crisp, but never greasy. My aunt always used to say that the temperature of the fat was key. And like has been mentioned, the lard did a much better job than today's vegetable oils. Bon appetit.

:hihi::hihi: :hihi::hihi: :hihi::hihi:

Archived