What Happened to Mutton?

Timbuck

Does any shop in the world still advertise "Mutton" ..I go into most Supermarkets and in the meat section displays Beef, Pork, and Lamb...Why Lamb?..My family won't eat Lamb co's they see it as a cute little white fluffy animal that bounces around the farmers field, But they will eat Mutton...I Doubt that they slaughter these animals at this stage but wait till they are bigger and older when they are called sheep....If Tescos displayed the meat as Calf, Piglet and Lamb, that would make it all fair.... but I bet they wouldn't sell as much.

Does any shop in the world still advertise "Mutton" ..I go into most Supermarkets and in the meat section displays Beef, Pork, and Lamb...Why Lamb?..My family won't eat Lamb co's they see it as a cute little white fluffy animal that bounces around the farmers field, But they will eat Mutton...I Doubt that they slaughter these animals at this stage but wait till they are bigger and older when they are called sheep....If Tescos displayed the meat as Calf, Piglet and Lamb, that would make it all fair.... but I bet they wouldn't sell as much.

Have you tried a local butcher or deli??

Another pet Moan ..Bones.

Why do we pay for bones in meat? when we don't eat them..Eg: T bone Steaks...The Butcher happly weighs them out bones and all co's he don't want em..and us daft sods pay good money for something that goes in the bin...Thats if you don't have a dog. The same goes for all cuts of meat with bones in , Ribs , Legs, Shoulders, Joints, Chickens ,Turkys,..Can we take the bones back and ask for a discount?...Sod the bones give us the stuff wrapped round em.

Thats why I prefer Liver, Value for money.

Try the Asian Butchers, they often have mutton in stock.

But they will eat Mutton...I Doubt that they slaughter these animals at this stage but wait till they are bigger and older when they are called sheep.[/Quote]

Mutton is older sheep & as we know, lamb is young sheep, can't really believe what's on the labels these days though.

When it comes to liver, I love what they call Lambs Fry here, beautiful with bacon, eggs, mushrooms & tomatoes.

Cow is beef, Calf is veal.

My son in law is a farmer, I couldn't send animals off to slaughter like they do, but that's life I suppose & what keeps us all going.

Many of the old foods have gone the way of the Dodo bird,but ican still manage to gross-out the g-grand kids with a plate of nice tripe or my wife doesn't want to be around when i'm cooking head cheese (jellied pork) and as for fighting over who got the rabbits head to pick the brains out, i;m looked on as sub-human,well they could be right on that score.

Archived