What Happened to Mutton?

Timbuck

Many of the old foods have gone the way of the Dodo bird,but ican still manage to gross-out the g-grand kids with a plate of nice tripe or my wife doesn't want to be around when i'm cooking head cheese (jellied pork) and as for fighting over who got the rabbits head to pick the brains out, i;m looked on as sub-human,well they could be right on that score.
It reminds me of the fellow who went in a Chinese Restaurant and ordered Duck ..He new it was real duck when he found the beak.

While were on the subject of weird meat..How about this recipe from an old cook book I have (I have posted this before on another thread)

SHEEPS HEAD BROTH.

Ingredients:

1 SHEEPS-HEAD, 6 PINTS WATER, 1 1/2LBS CARROT,TURNIP,ONION OR LEEK, CELERY, MIXED, 1/4 LB BARLEY, 1 TEASPOON CHOPPED PARSLEY, 6 PEPPER CORMS, SALT AND PEPPER.

Directions:

Split the scull lengthways and remove the brains carefully; Place them in cold salted water. Chop off the nose and well clean the head all over with salt. Remove the tongue. Tie the head together and place in a saucepan with the tongue. Cover with hot water, add 2 teaspoonfuls of salt, and as the water boils, skim well. Cook for 1 hour. Wash the brains, tie in muslin and cook in the broth for 20 minutes. Cut the vegetables in small pieces, add these to the broth. Simmer for 2 hours , Season, add the parsley and the meat from the head cut into small pieces. The head can be served seperatly with brain sauce. N.B Sheeps trotters can be added to the above recipe if desired. They should be well washed and cooked with the head. The head and trotters can be served seperately coated with white sauce and garnished with pieces of carrot and turnip. This is a genuine recipe from 1927, Enjoy.

Timbuck

All the Mutton is here in NZ, I reckon there must be at least, 20 million sheep here.

You write as if Sheep's Head Broth was from another planet.

I was reared on the stuff, like many others who are my age.

I suppose today everyone is scared of contracting Scrapies disease etc.

Happy Days!

Archived