The end is near for The Yorkshire Grey Pub..

Andy C

Should the Yorkshire Grey be demolished?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Yorkshire Grey be demolished?

• Pull it down
    • Don't pull it down

Originally posted by nick2

I don't think I've ever been inside the old town hall, are there any public bits you can vist just for a look around ?

There are areas that are open to the public most of the year (I think).

Though this may have changed recently (International terrorism ;-) )

Originally posted by sccsux

There are areas that are open to the public most of the year (I think).

Though this may have changed recently (International terrorism ;-) )

I'll try to go and have a look around then.

Originally posted by Tony

......Very.......

Strange, 'cause they (SCC[sux]) managed to get a CPO on our Private dwelling when I was a kid (11-12 IIRC)..... Then left the house standing vacant for almost 4 years. It was then demolished and a vacant plot was left for the next 8-9 years before being redeveloped!!

Nothing will sway the Council from this course of action.... Palms have been greased, promises made, there is no going back....

Originally posted by Dick Dastardly

It's an old building and it should be protected. I know it's not listed or anything like that, but the building adds character to seemingly bland buildings around it and should be saved. How many more buildings are going to be pulled down so developers can erect a bland structures in their place. Besides, it is proposed that the Yorkshire Grey will be replaced by a car park (not at all a blot on the landscape is it?!)

Car parks can be very successful buildings. Take Criterion Place in buzzing Leeds as an example. The ground floor even has Bibis, one of Leeds very best restaurants on the ground floor.

So no, Car parks don't have to be 'blots on the landscape'.

Nothing will sway the Council from this course of action.... Palms have been greased, promises made, there is no going back....

What do you mean 'palms have been greased'? Have you evidence for this? Please enlighten us.

Originally posted by bassman-x

It's no great loss really, not like it was an especially great pub, or particularly visually appealing. Some things have to give for progress and unfortunately this time it's a pub.

Whether it is a Pub(lic House) or not is irrelevant (I don't drink personally, so this closure has no impact on me) it is a matter of principle. The Council must learn to listen to the Public (ie everyone) which they (clearly) do not (point in question: Buddah in Walkley)!!

Contracts approved, monies will have changed hands before the YG has even been "acquired"

I think that you need to explain yourself properly. You appear to be making suggestions that there is funny business going on.

I think that you need to explain yourself properly. You appear to be making suggestions that there is funny business going on.

I think a lot of people think that about the council.

You appear to be making suggestions that there is funny business going on.

Why would I do that?

Wouldn't want to end up on the wrong side of a libel suite, would I??

I just remember them doing this to us (CPO) when I was kid and the repurcussions it had for quite a while after.

Archived