The end is near for The Yorkshire Grey Pub..

Andy C

Should the Yorkshire Grey be demolished?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Yorkshire Grey be demolished?

• Pull it down
    • Don't pull it down

A rather incredible response there from Tony slagging CAMRA off. Firstly given the very nature of CAMRA, all the members are people who go drinking in pubs, so yes, we do spend lots of money in pubs. The 72,000 members represent a whole cross section of people from 18 year old students right up to pensioners, all who have different interests and prefer different kinds of pubs and bars, but one thing in common - enjoy good beer, and want to drink it in a friendly and comfortable environment, and get what they pay for.

Secondly the Yorkshire Grey is owned by Laurel, not Regent Inns.

Finally I think Tony has missed the point I made with Devonshire Cat and Yorkshire Grey. It is not saying one is better than the other, it is saying they cater for different moods. The Devonshire Cat is a smart, chilled out type place, where you can try various different beers and maybe a decent bite to eat and have conversation, whereas the Yorkshire Grey is a more fun and lively atmosphere. And judging by the number of students who go in the Yorkshire Grey, which is on the edge of the Hallam University campus, it also appeals to younger drinkers.

If CAMRA didn't like pubs like the Devonshire Cat, then why would it appear in the national Good Beer Guide or win local Pub of the Month awards?

Finally, if I was confident an appropriate pub was to replace the Yorkshire Grey in the development I would be a bit happier, but it looks like the best we could hope for is a totally characterless, trendy clone bar, where up there own arse 30 somethings with too much money go to pose rather than enjoy themselves, and pay totally rip off prices. I supposed on that score, if we did actually get Devonshire Cat mark two I would be quite relieved!

Well having read this thread I must say I'll be sorry to see the YG go, I spent many happy hours there.

Also on the lines of 'funny business' and the council I can give Tony an example.

When the council was doing up some properties near Prince of Wales Road (this is probably around the 1990's) they had to move/demolish the pigeon loft of one of the residents to gain access to the rear of the house. Afterwards they rebuilt the pigeon loft, out of brick with hardwood door and windows frames and leaded windows. Total cost for this over £15,000.

How do I know, because I was one of the team that wrote the housing repairs software and we had a query on this. I remember we were absolutely sickened by the cost, you could buy a house for less. I wonder of it was coincidence that the tenant in question happened to be the chair of a tenants association.

Sanman, I would agree that the example given is bizarre!

It's an internal council housing matter tough, What I was questioning was the assertion that there was something going on in the YG matter. Now I don't know if there is or isn't, but I do know that lots of people get Section 106 Agreements mixed up with 'backhanders from developers'. I know that you will understand the difference.

I'm not connected with the YG situation, but I just can't see that there is anything going on other than SCC wanting to get the area redeveloped for the right reasons, even though many may not agree.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if there's an official campaign to save the Yorkie Grey but I do believe the Council are idiots for allowing the demolition of a well loved City Centre watering hole.

Especially as it contradicts their whole "no cars in the City Centre" policy :loopy:

Building a big multi-storey car park, ATTRACTS cars to the area does it not?!

I had a word with the bloke behind the bar and he sem to think it will be some time next year. We'll hopefully be able to squeeze another summer out if it, chillin out in the beer garden.

Not many DECENT pubs in sheffield seem to have decent beer gardens for when the suns out.

Regards

Deano

Archived