The end is near for The Yorkshire Grey Pub..

Andy C

Should the Yorkshire Grey be demolished?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Yorkshire Grey be demolished?

• Pull it down
    • Don't pull it down

I would have to say that while from the outside this is quite a nice looking pub, especially from the car park side. Although in the most recent years the place internally has become to my way of thinking a little bit like a town branch of the big tree. And so I don't go in any longer. I remember going in quite regularly 10 years ago, and thinking it was a nice pub with a good atmosphere. But the quality of the beer went down and the clientele became noisy loud and annoying.

It is a great shame that excellent pub premises like these cannot be kept in the long run within the town centre redevelopment

Howard Street and Charles Street are becoming potentially the main walking route into town from the station. The new street furniture looks pretty good. So we should be keeping the old pubs on this key route, not getting rid of them. I hate to see old pubs demolished, even when they aren't currently great pubs (eg the Nags Head on Shalesmoor), because when they're gone, they're gone forever.

The increased passing trade could mean the Yorkshire Grey could upgrade its interior, beer range, food, outdoor areas etc. The Globe used to be a fine old pub but its interior was gutted and is now a faceless anypub. The Roebuck can also improve. What is happening with the Cossack? Not a great place either but it could have been refurbed/developed. The Howard could even be a good pub one day.

This is the gateway to Sheffield for our visitors and a line of decent pubs, bars and restaurants is exactly what we need (it breaks up the walk up the hill!). Nothing wrong in principle with the ground floor of a carpark being a good bar, but why not just keep the Yorkshire Grey and build it into the corner of the new block? Money is no doubt the short-sighted answer.

There's quite a large open air car park on the other side of Arundel gate, sureky the multistorey could have been built on that, or is it too much to ask people to walk across the road to get into town? An alteration would have been needed at the traffic lights and a new junction put in, but you get a multistorey car park, a new public realm with the pub still in place.

I really don't get all this fuss over the Yorkshire Grey. The existing building has little historical standing only being, I think, from the 1930s and is not associated with anything interesting. It is boring and impersonal inside and the beer garden looks out onto Arundel gate for god's sake!

A new firestation is to be built further down Arundel Gate so a multi-storey carpark wouldn't be appropriate there.

M

The car park you speak of is a lot further down the road, the one i'm on a bout is the one right across from derwent house so something could be built on that, unless there's a plan for more office blocks there.

Granted at the minute the pub could look better inside, but that wouldn't take much doing. Turn it into a traditional pub inside, get some more real ales back on and pub grub, the office staff will love it in the surrounding buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

Yorkshire Grey -

Is it going to be/has it been knocked down for a car park? Or is this out of date info? What's the deal?

The Washington -

I know Nick Banks stopped owning it, but I read elsewhere that it "went downhill and was subsequently taken over by former management." So who really owns the Washington now and is it any good?

Info gratefully received!

AFAIK the Yorkie Grey is still scheduled to be knocked down in favour of building a car park, although given the Council's retarded anti-car policies I can't really understand WHY they're building a car park.. :loopy:

Originally posted by probedb

Washington seemed ok to me, really busy on Friday nights for such an out of the way pub.

Out of the way? It's about 2 minutes walk from West Street!

Archived