The end is near for The Yorkshire Grey Pub..

Andy C

Should the Yorkshire Grey be demolished?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Yorkshire Grey be demolished?

• Pull it down
    • Don't pull it down

Originally posted by max

I've already answered this one but here we go again. The plan is to close the current office and open 2 in places where tourists actually go:

Millenium Gardens

Meadowhall

Can't see the Meadowhall one being that great - people are generally there to shop. If I could vote (although I know I can't) I would have said building it near or in the train station would have been logical.

What good would sticking it near the station do? People are already here by then and if they're here they're here for a reason so would probably not need info. People at M'hall come from all over the country to shop so if they see a tourist office they may pop in to see what else we have to offer. imo.

No, I've spent time looking for info on a place while in it's train station. I think it's a good idea.

Whereas, if I was to go to Leeds or someplace, it would most likely be for shopping, not being a tourist, so a tourist info in the shopping mall would be no use to me at all.

In that case Max, where is the logic in building one at the galleries? Surely they will know by the time they get there what Sheffield offers?

As for the station...

Visitors get off the train at Sheffield and want to walk to their friends house in the centre, or maybe they are here on a spur of the moment thing. A place with maps and directions at the station might be useful! Not all of us plan quick trips in advance.

edit: I'm not saying building one at Meadowhall is a bad idea, I completely agree with your theory. However, I really can't see your logic behind not having one at a train station.

Originally posted by max

I've already answered this one but here we go again. The plan is to close the current office and open 2 in places where tourists actually go:

Millenium Gardens

Meadowhall

From what I read in the paper, I thought the tourist office was being closed to cut costs. If so, how will opening two new ones help to reduce costs?

If they are going to replace the old office with two new ones, that seems like a good idea - so long as they're going to be proper tourist information centres with staff on hand to assist.

My worry is that the new information centres will simply be piles of leaflets with no staff. Do you know what the actual situation will be Max?

Archived