The end is near for The Yorkshire Grey Pub..

Andy C

Should the Yorkshire Grey be demolished?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Yorkshire Grey be demolished?

• Pull it down
    • Don't pull it down

Originally posted by wibbles

Its a dive anyway..good riddance.

Maybe so, but I know a few old timers that have got plenty of stories about that place some funny, some serious. What can you say about a multi story car park? The minnimum wage security guard will have plenty of tales to tell his kids about him being attacked, etc (I know that's gone off the point a bit).

I've just had the following email from Dr Tim Stillman, Sheffield CAMRA's pubs officer:

I have a just had a call from the Sheffield Star asking for my opinion of

the compulsory purchase order submitted by the council for the Yorkshire

Grey. It seems Laurel wouldn't sell it to them so they bought it anyway.

Do local magistrates give the nod to compulsory purchase orders?

Is there anything anybody can do?

Cheers,

Tim

The council are retarded.

I thought they were trying to get cars OUT of the City Centre?! Yet here they are giving their backing to the very thing that will bring cars IN to the City Centre, ie a multi-storey car park.

Just WTF are they smoking the silly hypocrites?! :loopy:

Originally posted by Rich

The council are retarded.

I thought they were trying to get cars OUT of the City Centre?! Yet here they are giving their backing to the very thing that will bring cars IN to the City Centre, ie a multi-storey car park.

Just WTF are they smoking the silly hypocrites?! :loopy:

totally agree, a few have been suggested for West street too so even more traffic. I wonder which old building can be knocked down on West Street to build a car park?

I hope a Sheffield Monopoly isn't made it will all be car parks.

A car park means big income. Add that to the proposed road tolls and it gives the council a huge daily income for doing **** all.

They obviously don't care that they're killing off the character of the city. They can't see that because of the pound signs in their eyes.

It'll be interesting to see who will use the car park. It certainly won't be tourists!

Well I'm sure I've seen threads on here calling for more car parking within the city centre. If there is going to be further development with more shops, cafes, bars etc then surely there is a requirement for more car parking.

SCC can't win. They build more but no extra car parks so we whinge..they build more car parks and we still whinge.

The Yorkshire Grey pub is no great loss to society when you weigh it up against the possibility of attracting people to the city centre and giving these people somewhere to park.

Well said wibbles.

Don't think that the YG is being redeveloped in isolation. It is merely part of the site assembly for the project now on site on the old Egg Box site. It just so happens that the YG is where the car park will go.

The YG is no great architectural monument - it's a pretty shabby city centre boozer that's only been there around 80 years from memory.

Archived