Sportsman's Inn, Barnsley Road

dean1

• 2 weeks later...
hi all

anyone know when this pub was built ? and any past landlords?

ditto the cannon hall at fir vale.

thanks

Dean

used to go drinking in here a couple of years ago couldnt stay out of the place :D :D the landlord and landlady then was deana and ernie but they gone now to another pub not too far away

I used to live just down the road from it in 1965 the Landlord/Manager was "Henry Flathers" from Ecclesfield he used to work at "Newton Chambers" before he went into Pub Management...I don't know when it was built but there is an old photo on this Forum showing a horse drawn bus standing outside of the Huntsman...I think it was driven by "Pop T's" Grandad....or it was "Old Lads"???? I duno ? but Ive seen it.

I used to live just down the road from it in 1965 the Landlord/Manager was "Henry Flathers" from Ecclesfield he used to work at "Newton Chambers" before he went into Pub Management...I don't know when it was built but there is an old photo on this Forum showing a horse drawn bus standing outside of the Huntsman...I think it was driven by "Pop T's" Grandad....or it was "Old Lads"???? I duno ? but Ive seen it.

This is the link to the pictures, the first terminus is Hunters Bar and the second is the terminus at the Sportsman, Barnsley Road.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n297/Rawson21/Arthur.jpg

The Sportsman is shown on a map dated 1832, but is almost certainly older than that. The Sheffield-Barnsley turnpike was built around 1758 and the Inn was possibly a farmhouse conversion after the road was built. Purpose built inns on turnpike roads generally fronted onto the road (like the Pheasant at Lane Top) but the Sportsman has it's gable-end to the road as did many farmhouses and farm cottages.

The Cannon Hall at Fir Vale was converted from a private house of that name, but I don't know when. Skinnerthorpe road was built in what were the grounds of the house.

• 1 year later...
Im told that Joseph and Sarah Yeardley was the pub owner in 1841. See 1841 census

Regards Ben Yeardley

Don't know about that, but on Sheffield History site under pubs & keepers it says:-

Sportsman

Barnsley Road

Open 1901

Closed

Span

Comments

Earlier

1901 Edward Temple

1905 Edward Temple

1911 Herbert Naylor

1925 Ralph Hazelhurst

1948 Ambrose Lister

1951 Ambrose Lister

Henry Flather lived a few houses down the road from me. I remember him well. I think that at one time he was also the landlord of The Bay Horse at the Toll Bar just off Burngreave Road, opposite Abbeyfield Park. I've forgotten the name of the pub that was forcibly closed (opposite the old Magistrates/Crown Court in Castle Street). However his Mother worked at that pub for many years. They were nice people too.

Henry Flather lived a few houses down the road from me. I remember him well. I think that at one time he was also the landlord of The Bay Horse at the Toll Bar just off Burngreave Road, opposite Abbeyfield Park. I've forgotten the name of the pub that was forcibly closed (opposite the old Magistrates/Crown Court in Castle Street. However his Mother worked at that pub for many years. Nice people too.

think it was called the cannon

Archived