Average intelligence? How do you rate?

Do 50% of people have below average intelligence?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do 50% of people have below average intelligence?

• No, it's not true and it's cruel to say that 50% are below average.
    • Yes, 50% are as thick as a loaf of bread.

Must have been pretty stoopid to do 2 PhDs! Clever people would go do something nice and easy after the first one...

Can you actually do two PhD's?? Surely once you've done your doctorate anything else that follows it is just published research.

i've found that some of the most intelligent people seem to lack common sense.

Having worked with and for several extremely intelligent people in the past I developed a name for them - dizzy academics - they know everything in the world worth studying but don't have a clue how to dress nicely, forget to feed the dog or the kids regularly and themselves too, always arrive late and rarely have the faintest idea where the cleaning products are in their own homes :D

That said I have worked with a number of extra specially stupid people too, who exhibit no common sense, no intelligence and no sign of learning from their mistakes. I don't have a special name for them as there are more than enough already in frequent circulation :hihi:

I know people who are illiterate but give them a car to work on or a house to decorate (examples only) they will beat anyone & do a fantastic job. We all excell in what we know. You can have the most intelligent person in the world, ask them to make you tea & toast & they wouldn't know where to start.

Can you actually do two PhD's?? Surely once you've done your doctorate anything else that follows it is just published research.

I've not actually heard of anyone doing so, I guess there'd be nothing to stop you applying for another one in a different field if you wanted.

Postdoctoral jobs (the next career step from PhD) pay a reasonable amount better than even fully funded PhDs though - I'd expect to be another 7-8k a year better off - so I can't see why anyone would want to do two... unless they really couldn't get a job!

If you do another one in a completely unrelated field, e.g. one in quantum neurology and another in 16th century bavarian beer poetry, then I'm sure you can get two (or more) doctorates, and that's before you count the honorary doctorates.

--

edit

It's a bit of a silly poll though. You kinda get the feeling that Tony considers himself to be in the top 50%!

perhaps an online test is in order? anyone?

I've not actually heard of anyone doing so, I guess there'd be nothing to stop you applying for another one in a different field if you wanted.

Postdoctoral jobs (the next career step from PhD) pay a reasonable amount better than even fully funded PhDs though - I'd expect to be another 7-8k a year better off - so I can't see why anyone would want to do two... unless they really couldn't get a job!

Yes, but that is assuming that the person *wants* to go into the real world to *get* a job. Some may want to further research and human advancement by doing further PhDs or researches.

There are a lot of reasons that individuals will take and is not along the same line as the general population.

I think IQ is definitely overrrated.

Maybe intelligence should be measured in a way which tests how well a person can cope in their habitat. I once thought that anyone can have the ability to have a high IQ, especially if they apply themselves. Solely focusing and concentrate on this area. Most people may have a lower IQ because their EQ starts to rise. Being emotional wraught distracts the focus on logic, I find.

All you have to do is go to Sheffield Midland Railway Station, and look at all the passengers trying to read the the new electronic infomation screens in the concourse, despite them begin simple to read it is just like watching lost sheep:hihi:

As for the poor sods trying to read a bus timetable...............