New Retail Quarter in the City Centre

athorby

Heard recently that they were going to change the name NRQ to something else. I mean I know the NRQ is hardly catchy, but what are they going to call it? Has anyone heard of any of the proposed names?

An IKEA store ????

Don't know where you get your rumours from but can you really believe John Lewis would agree to have an IKEA store next door :D

They already scuppered the plans for one on the Parkway, so an IKEA in the city centre is fantastically unlikely.

Don't know where you get your rumours from but can you really believe John Lewis would agree to have an IKEA store next door :D

It wouldn't be any real competition would it, Cole Brothers sell expensive quality furniture, IKEA sell cheap, flimsy, chipboard tat.

Even if we do get more expensive shops in the centre. Shopping is more than that. You have to have eating places, wine bars, coffee places etc. It's the whole feel of it. It's good in parts at the moment but pretty grubby in others and the condition of some of the roads and carparks need a lot doing to them. I know its improving but the pavements need to be cleaner and there needs to be more bins. I hope we don't lose more historic buildings. The last major development in the 60s knocked down more historic buildings than the Blitz. And then theres the old building thats been allowed to be painted red. I like some of the steel sculptures across the city. Lets have some more.

There's some good eating places/cafes u/c at the moment too. :) I think the 'public realm' is due to be updated in a lot of the city centre to bring it up to the same standard as the area around the town hall. To be honest though I don't think the litter in the city centre is too bad, although theres always more that can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Can we get this into perspective? John Lewis weren't the main guys to get the Ikea stores planning permission rejected. One, they are if anything, aiming at a different market, and two it would have made commercial sense for them to support the planning permission, as if all you near an Ikea catalogue or if you go to their website will realise Ikea have started marketing more up market furniture under their Ikea Stockholm brand, plus not all their furniture and home ware is that cheap, like not all John Lewis furniture and home ware is expensive. Thus making the two stores more complementing each other if anything. When I was working there, when planning permission was rejected, I seem to remember bemusement amongst all staff at the decision, especially as all the papers were pointing a finger at John Lewis. Bonkers I know, but hey, I suppose everyone believes everything they read in the oh so reliable Sheffield Star....

• 3 months later...