New Retail Quarter in the City Centre

athorby

I think I heard right on the radio this morning that the NRQ is going to be called "Sevenstones". Apparently because Sheffield is built on 7 hills and 1/3 of Sheffield is in the Peak district, where "stones are important". At least it isn't St something which seems to be the current fashion for naming anything.

Why stones ?

Why not hills? I presume the Seven bit of the title is linked to the hills of Sheffield?

My apologies in advance for my thickness cos' I know it will have been wisely thought out by the council and other people involved.

Why not hills? I presume the Seven bit of the title is linked to the hills of Sheffield?

Dunno samc. I can't see any relevance to Sheffield in that name, it's a puzzle. I think it'll still get called the Moor by everyone, time will tell.

I think I heard right on the radio this morning that the NRQ is going to be called "Sevenstones". Apparently because Sheffield is built on 7 hills and 1/3 of Sheffield is in the Peak district, where "stones are important". At least it isn't St something which seems to be the current fashion for naming anything.

I thought Sheffield is actually built on 8 hills. There was a thread about this last week.

Why Sevenstone? Here's the answer from Hammersons the re-development company :

“Sheffield is unique in the UK for being founded on seven distinct hills. The name is designed to link this and another defining feature, stone. Stone links back to the grindstone used by the cutlery and tool making industries which made Sheffield famous. The stone also represents the personality of Sheffield – hard but warm, rugged but beautiful, honest and natural – and the elements of stone that will be a striking and prominent feature of the scheme.

“The naming will be the foundation for the branding and promotion of the area and is an extremely important milestone in the delivery of the scheme. Sevenstone now has its own identity which will play a vital role in ensuring that the development attracts leading retailers to the city, helping to place it on the map as one of the UK’s leading retail, leisure and city living destinations.”

Sevenstone is part of Creative Sheffield’s city centre masterplan – the ‘magnificent seven’ projects which are playing a major role in transforming the city. The development will also be made up of seven distinct blocks which will house the city’s renewed retail offering.

So is that really the personality of Sheffied - hard but warm, rugged but beautiful, honest and natural?