New Retail Quarter in the City Centre

athorby

I spoke to the council last week about this - they are already planning to re-let the units on the Moor they have purchased, and are looking to use the ones they can't let as advertising space - although with footfall much reduced I'm not sure what value that will be.

The lack of finance isn't the council's fault, but at least they are doing their best to get some revenue in from their resources rather than just leaving them to rot.

This is the worst piece of journalism I've ever seen. Sensationalist nonsense from the Star purely to shift papers/website hits.

Developer haven't commented, Council committed to work still - enabling works still going ahead.

There's been "no date for construction to start" for about 2 months, why this has become news today is beggers belief. Although the fact its running with no byline suggests my original thought of wanting to sell papers.

Good. One less concrete lump with a ubiquitous 'water feature' and the same chain stores you get in every other town. :thumbsup:

We don't have even the chain stores that "other towns" have, and we're a city for gods sake.

As I posted in the other thread;

This is the worst piece of journalism I've ever seen. Sensationalist nonsense from the Star purely to shift papers/website hits.

Developer haven't commented, Council committed to work still - enabling works still going ahead.

There's been "no date for construction to start" for about 2 months, why this has become news today is beggers belief. Although the fact its running with no byline suggests my original thought of wanting to sell papers.

... yeah and most people react to it as such.

I hope it is delayed for an indefinite period,so the plans can be redrawn up,as it's the ugliest,most unasthetically pleasing piece of design I've ever seen in the centre of town.

If this is the best we can do,then god help us all.

Most of it would have been condemned as grim when we had the Hole In The Road,The Eggbox,and the Goodwin Fountain at the top of Fargate.It doesn't look 21st Century to me - it looks like a 1970's carpark.

I hope it is delayed for an indefinite period,so the plans can be redrawn up,as it's the ugliest,most unasthetically pleasing piece of design I've ever seen in the centre of town.

Indeed, the 'Moor Plans' looked disappointingly ugly; Maybe the Council will come to their senses and create something more imaginative to fill the vacant sites while they wait for the economic situation to improve. And they would be far better off gutting and re-using the EXISTING perfectly sound concrete shells of buildings along the Moor (Like how Park Hill flats are being redone), rather than totally demolishing them. think of the money and hassle which would be saved!

I'm personally glad that this will mean that both Dempseys and the Lions Lair pub will now have a secure future on their present sites for several more years!

I can't see the problem. Right now it's a disaster if they don'e build and potentially more of a disaster if they do.

There are a lot of empty premises in that area now and what the council should do with the developer is smarten the place up even if that means just putting hoardings over the empty shop fronts for the time being.

Only in Sheffield I do hope that council are supporting 2 Sheffield independants in the middle of all this disaster area Atkinsons & Pollards. They talk of re letting empty units think they would have to be rent free to get anyone in.

No one from the council have mentioned the shortfall of funds for the city due to the lack of business rates coming from the majority of the city centre.